I'm addicted to wrist rolling!

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

Since getting my Ironmind Wrist Roller two weeks ago, I can't stop using it. It's ruining my gripper workouts (I'm too tired to squeeze a tomato after finishing a roller session), but by golly, it's fun! Don't know where my progress will stop (last session I rolled up 201 lbs to a height of 7 ft) -- all I know is my forearms are getting solid, solid, solid.

Maybe in a few weeks, when the newness wears off, I'll cycle out of rolling, and see if the new forearm strength helps the consistency I'm seeking on the No. 3.

David

That's quite a bit of weight you're using there!  Good job!  How many sets do you do at a certain weight?  I used to work up to one heavy set, but recently I've started to use less weight and do five sets with my top weight.

Guest DavidHW

Since I just started, I'm trying to find a max range for my next cycle, if that makes sense. The first week, I just kept adding weight by 45s, until I hit 186 (4 plates + the pin). I quit because I was tired. This past week, I went from 141 (3 x 45s + pin) straight to 201 just to see if I could get over the 200 lb mark. Next week, I'll try 231 (5 45s + pin) just to see if I can.

When I do finally start doing sets, I can't see myself doing a lot of reps. Maybe 3 complete roll ups and downs at my target weight for the week. I'll probably establish a max and then do a standard 70%-75%-80%-85%-90%-95%-new max cycle. Nothing fancy. I'm doing this to supplement my crushing power, not to build forearms.

What's your regimen like?

David

I go 2-3 times rolling both ways, once a week. I try to build up to a 1 set PR over a month or so, then start over.

I also do it for crushing power, and with the 2 3/8 PVC it is usually always my grip that gives first. My forearms always hurt though.

Guest DavidHW

Bob:

Do you find that you can still wrist roll *after* working out with grippers but *not* the other way around? For me, I can wrist roll whatever amount, light or heavy, and it takes away a significant portion of my close on the harder grippers (IM No. 2 and above). However, if I do a complete workout with grippers first, including strapholds, crushes, the works, it doesn't affect my rolling at all. I'm puzzled by this.

David

If you are rolling to develop crushing power but not

to build forearms, and if you can pull that off, successfully,

I for one will be confused.

There is no way to avoid forearm development using the

weights you are using (unless by some circumstance 200

lbs is very easy for you).

Using the roller to develop crushing power is off target,

isn't it? Isn't the way to develop crushing strength, to

move the crushing muscles thru their ranges of motion?

The roller moves the forearm muscles, the muscles of the

hand are moved only open and shut, open without

resistance to shut with full, static resistance.

Hopefully you measured your forearm straight before

beginning this program?

I do not comment much on training methods, but you are doing what I would have suggested someone do to develop forearm mass (coupled with wrist curls). If you continue this

program without increased muscular girth, I will be more

confused than a crosseyed man at a topless club.

Anyway, good luck with those weights you are elevatoring!

Guest Canthar

It's like going outside and doing wind-sprints before you lift. The muscles themselve's may still have the ability to do it, but the various supports cardiovascular/nerves/support muscles etc. don't. Similar principle here.

Nic

Guest DavidHW

Roark:

My forearms each measured at 14 inches (straight) immediately before beginning this routine. Two weeks later, they're still 14 inches. Probably too short a time to notice a difference.

As far as things carrying over, well, I guess I'll find out. Seems to me that the grip required to just keep these weights elevated at the top of the motion (before descent) would carry over -- for me, I'm crushing the heck out of the roller bar at that point!

Canthar:

Good analogy. Probably the same reason I can do deadlifts after squats, but not the other way around. Squats demand too much concentration, at least for me. Deadlift is a "no-brainer" lift.

David

Dave, I've tried the grippers after, and they are harder, but I have never worked the grippers seriously before.

One thing about Roark's comments, I am doing this as an adjunct to my crushing training. Of course, wrist rollers are a great forearm builder, and I am also hoping to get larger forearms.

I don't really like to train much on the grippers- I only usually work seriously on the COC's once a month or so. I always do some sort of heavy crushing once a week, and do a variety of other exercises for all around hand, wrist, and forearm strength, which I believe will improve my crushing in the long term.