Pre-contest prep

Faheem Chauhan

Being relatively inexperienced in competition i was wondering how the more experienced competitors here deal with pre-competition training.

I`ve been told everything from training hard up untill the day of the comp to wind down and stop training specifically at least a week before.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

Faheem

The reason you've been told every possible variation is that everyone trains differently and it depends on what your body is capable of and accustomed to.  Olympic weightlifters train 10-12 times per week.  Taking a day off before competition would be contrary to their ordinary training and provide no benefit.  Conversely, the average guy who just trains each lift once or twice a week has conditioned himself to a long rest between max efforts and he's gonna need that rest before competition.  So, the question is not what you should do, but what have you gotten used to, and then, you do that.  If you want to change the intensity, do it when there's no competition bearing down on you.

Guest 115-1005574997

Hia Faz

I think Dave has a very good point and no wonder your confused!

From a physiological perspective Id say take 5 to 7 days of non specific grip work off .  Ie dont do any grip work from the 29th July 'till the 3rd August.  that way it allows your msusles to be fully recoverd.

I think squats and OH press will be fine as it keeps things ticking over but not adding to the myofibril damage.

Good luck for the 3rd August mate

Thanks Scott, Dave.

I`ll be taking that 7 days off of specific grip training and doing only a full body session during that week. I`ve already elimininated the finger lifts as they`re most taxing. So by the time the contest rolls around i should be hungry (starving) to lift!!

Faheem

Hello Faheem,

Looking forwardto meeting you,your brother,and all the other ,grip folks at davids,looks luike youve been putting in some serious work into your grip,youve gotta be tough to be a scouser,glad im not in your section,with all the other beasts,

gonna get my butt kicked as it is,good luck on the day.

Thanks Gazza, it`ll be a great to meet everyone, what i`m really looking forward to is a huge battle for the Open division, it`l be pretty darn inspiring.

As for being a scouser, sorry no such luck. I only study in Liverpool, i think David put my City down as Liverpool as that is where my IronGrip sub gets sent to. My brother and I are from Derby.

See you on the day and good luck in your category.

Faheem

Guest 115-1005574997

Gaz

You'll do just fine in the intermediates.  Your nail bending was well impressive!

Be competitive but most of all have some fun!! :)

Faheem,are you going to be going to the comp,from Derby or Liverpool,if Liverpool maybe we could travel down together.

Scott,as i said before,think i had the edge in the nail bending,because of my bodyweight,if it was done with no body weight bearing down on the nail,you would probably have beaten me,see ya soon!

Gazza,

Unfortunatley i`m in Derby now and i`ll be travelling up to Stafford on the day. I took a look at the contest write up for the Nail Bending Challenge, looks like you did great on that. Nice one.

Faheem

Guest Marso2

Gazza,

There's a fairly big contingent travelling from Liverpool i.e. me (Ian Marsland), my brother, Brian Carlton & Matt Makousky from the states are coming up to liverpool before the comp and travelling down with us and a few others.  How are you getting down there?

Cheers

Ian