Wrist Curling Training For Armwrestling

JamesG

Me and Austin were talking at practice the other night about training wrist curling for armwrestling. Alot of people pick one movement or type of wrist curl and use that as thier training plan. Our thoughts on this were as follows. standing thick bar wrist curls like Devon shows on the canadian armwrestling board are great for the cup. Plate wrist curls are great for when your opponent gets a slight jump and you have to rely on your fingers to assist your wrist to bring them back in. Regular wrist curls over your knees are good for general overall strength as well as strengthening a large range of motion so you can use your wrist strength from all places. What do you guys think? We would usually pick one type of wrist curl and when we would pull it always seemed like we had weak spots in our wrist curling strength somewhere and now that we do more options its seems like we are stronger overall. What do other pullers think about training the wrist for armwrestling?

James

makes sense tho. to do more than 1 type of curls . oO

Me and Austin were talking at practice the other night about training wrist curling for armwrestling. Alot of people pick one movement or type of wrist curl and use that as thier training plan. Our thoughts on this were as follows. standing thick bar wrist curls like Devon shows on the canadian armwrestling board are great for the cup. Plate wrist curls are great for when your opponent gets a slight jump and you have to rely on your fingers to assist your wrist to bring them back in. Regular wrist curls over your knees are good for general overall strength as well as strengthening a large range of motion so you can use your wrist strength from all places. What do you guys think? We would usually pick one type of wrist curl and when we would pull it always seemed like we had weak spots in our wrist curling strength somewhere and now that we do more options its seems like we are stronger overall. What do other pullers think about training the wrist for armwrestling?

James

Definitely a wise strategy. :mosher I have recently found out (through a wrist injury) that I was lacking wrist strength in certain planes of motion. Grip strength was good, toproll and back pressure strength was good, biceps and triceps strength was good but hook strength was not. Thick handle dumbell wrist curls (standing or sitting - knuckles ending towards elbow), regular barbell wrist curls and reverse curls (off the knees), sledge levers to the front and rotations side to side as well as block weights (pinching finger tips to palm - like picking up a sheet of plywood or drywall) should be added to regular grip workouts. I plan to add these to my own... 3-4 exercises for 3 sets of 3-5 reps for each. I'll adjust to suit progress or lack thereof. :)

I split my wrist curls up....on my heavy arms day ill do standing dumbell curls at my side using 2sec up and 4sec down....on wrist day i do my plate curls to concentrate on my fingers....but in my 4 sets i rotate from my fingers being fully open and fully closed....2 sets each..on my concentration arms day..i do barbell curls for strength..these are done standing with the bar behind my back....between my 4 sets i do 2 with my thumbs out and 2 with my thumbs in just to hit different areas.....

all this seems to work for me...my forearms have almost surpassed my biceps in size now....strength is up and stamina has increased dfrom splitting this on 3 different days....

just my thoughts...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

haha. freak :p