York lifters grip

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

We all know that Davis and Norb clean and jerked the AA. John Grimek held a weaver stick record. How did these men and others of the York tribe build such grips? I never see the mention of thick bar work in any of the Hoffman writings. The only thing I have ever seen mentioned about training the grip is on their "tinkering" days. He mentions some type of gripper and wrist roller. Was there mor to it than this? I read where Norb said when he cleaned the AA he was nervous and just reached down, squeezed like #### and pulled the same. Has anyone here got any details or inside info? I have started using the York Courses again for other purposes but this does interest me also. I also know the Davis used the alternate grip for the clean and switched in mid-air.

George Weaver told me years ago that the method

JCG used in the Weaver stick was not the same method

that others used, and George was displeased about it

but stopped short of saying it was cheating.

We went on to talk of other things, and I got no more

details.

I am not sure if Weaver is still living, but he published a

book a few years ago.

Jeff,

Not to sound flip, but I'm serious.  Do you think you can lift the AA?  I can lift the weight, but the power clean to shoulders would stop me dead cold.  365 pounds on a thick non-revolving bar is a B-I-T-C-H!!!  You'd need lots of wrist strength to counter that action as well.