Grip Training For Selfdefense

jmm19114

Hey everyone,

My name is Jim and I am currently studying a Reality Based Selfdefense System (RBSD) called Contemporary Fighting Arts and I am just looking for ideas on how to improve my handstrength for selfdefense. Thanks. I really love your guys forum.

Get a set og grippers

Get a few Blobs

and your on your way, this site has all the answers

The Diesel Crew also sells some martial specific strength and conditioning videos and products. These guys know hand strength and overall body strength and are well suited to teaching. Upper right hand corner of this site has their link...and no I don't work for them. Just great guys that I have learned from often.

If you carry any personal defense tools, like a knife, or any PPSD (pressure point stimulating device) it sure as hell will help you to have a ferocious grip when you use them to defend yourself. I used to help train a large group annually in crowd control and figured the vertical bar training would be of lifesaving help in holding on to your riot control baton in a hostile crowd situation. Not sure if that pertains to your question, but the body is not always the best tool for the job of self defense. It's good to be trained, and I am, but I prefer "winning" and will use my strength and any "tools" to my advantage. When you develop a much higher level of overall hand strength than the average man, I actually consider that advanced strength to be a "tool." And it just amplifies the affect that any other self defense tool has when you utilize it in conjunction with that great strength.

You can go more the "functional strength" route if you want. Almost everyone you will encounter, maybe not in a fight situation in my old hick hometown though, has at least a shirt on. Get a sturdy but cheap work shirt and tie the arms around and through some weight plates out in your garage if you have one. If you don't have a garage then take it out to the sidewalk. Screw what the neighbors think about it...you're getting stronger. Now you can drag the weights around by grasping on to the lapels of the work short. Or the sleeves themselves. Or whatever cloth you care to grab. Point is you'll be getting stronger on grabbing clothing. And that doesn't just help in "sport MMA fighting." Control a man's shirt (or whatever article of clothing) and oftentimes, unless he's much stronger than you, you control HIM.

Drag it for distance or time. Add more weight if you want to get strong enough to do the same to an average sized man. Another cheapie method of building strength for holding on to limbs would be to buy a 12" piece of 2 and 3/8" diameter PVC from the hardware store. Now you can cut it in half if you want, so you have 2 pieces that are 6" long each. Tie rope through one of those handles (or both if you want to do both hands at once training) and then tie the other end to some kind of weight. Or you could just tie the other end to a tree branch and hang from it with one hand or 2 for time. Or add weight to your body and do the same. That will make you very strong when grabbing a wrist and controlling the arm also.

If someone works out with you, or you have access to a training partner then try this: Your partner sits down on a metal trashcan lid that is set on the lawn. Now you drag him around by his arm (only use one of your hands for this training then train the other hand) while he sits on the metal trashcan lid. Pretty easy. If it's too easy you could have him put a 45 pound weight plate in his lap. He could even read while you do it if it's that boring. But he might need to hold on to the lid.

Kind of a side point but always keep your fingernails short if you don't already. That really limits your ability to grip clothing and limbs tightly if they're too long.

Any training that increases your thumb strength will be of great benefit to you in controlling limbs and personal defense tools.

One of the last Defensive Tactics courses for instructors that I went to before retiring had a great section of the class that focused on how to pinch and other grabbing flesh techniques for the most pain for the buck factor. Some of the methods might be commonsense a few of the tips/tricks were just genius to me. And coupled with some pretty good grip strength, I was able to take skin with me and the word spread like wildfire that being my partner meant bleeding. LOL.

Good luck. The info is here and some other places have good resources too.

And coupled with some pretty good grip strength, I was able to take skin with me and the word spread like wildfire that being my partner meant bleeding. LOL.

:yikes That made me literally laugh out loud.

A good friend of mine's father was a corrections officer growing up. He was a pretty big dude - all genetics, the guy never touched a weight in his life. He had massive hands with incredible strength in his wrists. He showed us a few tips and techniques on moving an unwilling prisoner...that's serious stuff!

Ben - I encourage you to write an article/begin a topic on your reply from above! I'm sure there are others on here besides me who'd love to hear more about a lot of these techniques and how to specifically train for them.

Goody

Edited by Goody

Try this article by Rick Walker on the Diesel Crew website:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/rw%20-%...mbat%20Grip.pdf

The above article is great!

Here is another great article by Rick Walker and it is on the Diesel Crew site.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles/combat%20hard.pdf

Heres a link to the Diesel Crew Article page, Lots of great articles that will help.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles.htm

A BIG Thanks to Rick for his articles.

THE DIESEL CREW ROCKS :rock

I read that you can fill up a duffle bag with sand and then you grab it and throw it or swing it and I wonder if putting some foam over a barbell where you grip it would work?

The Diesel Crew also sells some martial specific strength and conditioning videos and products. These guys know hand strength and overall body strength and are well suited to teaching. Upper right hand corner of this site has their link...and no I don't work for them. Just great guys that I have learned from often.

If you carry any personal defense tools, like a knife, or any PPSD (pressure point stimulating device) it sure as hell will help you to have a ferocious grip when you use them to defend yourself. I used to help train a large group annually in crowd control and figured the vertical bar training would be of lifesaving help in holding on to your riot control baton in a hostile crowd situation. Not sure if that pertains to your question, but the body is not always the best tool for the job of self defense. It's good to be trained, and I am, but I prefer "winning" and will use my strength and any "tools" to my advantage. When you develop a much higher level of overall hand strength than the average man, I actually consider that advanced strength to be a "tool." And it just amplifies the affect that any other self defense tool has when you utilize it in conjunction with that great strength.

You can go more the "functional strength" route if you want. Almost everyone you will encounter, maybe not in a fight situation in my old hick hometown though, has at least a shirt on. Get a sturdy but cheap work shirt and tie the arms around and through some weight plates out in your garage if you have one. If you don't have a garage then take it out to the sidewalk. Screw what the neighbors think about it...you're getting stronger. Now you can drag the weights around by grasping on to the lapels of the work short. Or the sleeves themselves. Or whatever cloth you care to grab. Point is you'll be getting stronger on grabbing clothing. And that doesn't just help in "sport MMA fighting." Control a man's shirt (or whatever article of clothing) and oftentimes, unless he's much stronger than you, you control HIM.

Drag it for distance or time. Add more weight if you want to get strong enough to do the same to an average sized man. Another cheapie method of building strength for holding on to limbs would be to buy a 12" piece of 2 and 3/8" diameter PVC from the hardware store. Now you can cut it in half if you want, so you have 2 pieces that are 6" long each. Tie rope through one of those handles (or both if you want to do both hands at once training) and then tie the other end to some kind of weight. Or you could just tie the other end to a tree branch and hang from it with one hand or 2 for time. Or add weight to your body and do the same. That will make you very strong when grabbing a wrist and controlling the arm also.

If someone works out with you, or you have access to a training partner then try this: Your partner sits down on a metal trashcan lid that is set on the lawn. Now you drag him around by his arm (only use one of your hands for this training then train the other hand) while he sits on the metal trashcan lid. Pretty easy. If it's too easy you could have him put a 45 pound weight plate in his lap. He could even read while you do it if it's that boring. But he might need to hold on to the lid.

Kind of a side point but always keep your fingernails short if you don't already. That really limits your ability to grip clothing and limbs tightly if they're too long.

Any training that increases your thumb strength will be of great benefit to you in controlling limbs and personal defense tools.

One of the last Defensive Tactics courses for instructors that I went to before retiring had a great section of the class that focused on how to pinch and other grabbing flesh techniques for the most pain for the buck factor. Some of the methods might be commonsense a few of the tips/tricks were just genius to me. And coupled with some pretty good grip strength, I was able to take skin with me and the word spread like wildfire that being my partner meant bleeding. LOL.