Bending coins

Nathan Say

Doug Hepburn was said to be able to bend double a Canadian dime by holding it against a railing & pressing it with his thumb (The Super Athletes 112). Is that more believable than someone holding a coin with the fingers? I know Brookfield went back & forth with 2 pairs of vise grips about 30 times before his shiny new American quarter broke, & Ed Aston held one half of his coin in a vise & the other half with a pair of pliers & did the same. Please don't tell me there was something Doug Hepburn couldn't do!  ;)  :)

Nathan, that text mentions his thumb and his

forefinger- otherwise he would have had to simply

press at it in perpendicular position.

Anyway, what size was a Canadian dime in those days?

Didn't Stanless Steel bend a penny at last years AOBS?

I'm pretty sure Canadian dimes are the same diameter as American ones but not the same thickness. Canadian ones are thinner.

Guest JoeQ1966

I was at a armwrestling tournament in 1999 and saw a guy by the name of Richard Boven..I think he was from Michigan..He bent a quarter in half..I have tried this time and time again and I cant do it..The way he bent it was kind of painful..He would bend both of his index fingers to where you can see the Y when they are bent..He would then put the quarter in the y shape of his index fingers and then use his thumbs to bend it..Just hold your hands in a  hammer style in front of you with thumbs pointing up..Bend your index fingers till they resemble a Y with the creases in your fingers and thats how he held the quarter..I was pretty impressed with it and so was the others there..I think he was a block mason or something like that,,