Tennis elbow!

Guest JOSE PINILLA

Guest JOSE PINILLA

Friends,

I am new to this board.  I will tell you a little about myself.  I have been training for 1 year mostly with Grippers, pinch grip and CoC.

About 3 months ago I started doing timed holds to increase the endurance of my holding strenght.  Strangely i developed tennis elbow.  I have been doing the rehab and the doctor has recommended a light workout.  

Has anyone experienced something similar?   I would like to get back to my previous strenght and beyond, but am afraid I will reinjure the area.

What would be a "sane" workout for improving my forearm strenght?  The doctor said that my left extensors were weaker and that caused the injury.

Thanks,

Jose

Guest JoeQ1966

Jose sorry to hear about your condition,,I have had tennis elbow.I went to the doctor for this and did everything imaginable to try and cure it..Electric therapy..cortizone..Finally I got fed up and started some light workouts..It was alittle uncomfortable at first but I stuck with it and it started to get better and better..Use alot of ice and ibuprofen.I would incorporated some wrist curls and reverse curls also..You can get so strong in certain movements that you can actually hurt less developed muscles and tendons..I would go for a more balanced workout.The grippers are great and I find myself skipping other hand forearm work to do them but its best to work on the entire package.Tendons take time to heal so be patient and do what you can till you reach full stength again,,

good luck          Joe

Guest JOSE PINILLA

Joe,

Thanks for the support.  Could you please detail the routine you followed?  Exercises, Sets, Reps?

How many days of the week did you do the exercises?  3 times, 4 times, every other day?

How lond did it take you to get completely pain free?

Thanks for your help!

:D  Jose

Guest richard

What Joe said...

I've known a bunch of people with either tennis or golf elbow (including myself), and the doctors always prescribe rest, ice, ibuprofen, and wrapping. This alleviates the pain, but doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that some part of your forearm/grip does not have the strength or endurance to accomodate what you're asking of it.

First, do as the doctors advise to get the pain down, and at the same time, take a good look at your forearm/grip training to see if there are any imbalances. Then start training again but back off on your intensity and build back up slowly. Slower than you think you can. Figure out how fast you think you can progress in weight and time under load and then go half to two thirds that fast. With injury rehab, you have to be very patient so as not to reinjure.

Good luck,

Richard

Greetings and welcome Jose, try magnet therapy,what the heck, it will be a lot less than 1 doctor visit and 1 prescription. It might help and we would be anxious to know the end result!

Good luck,

JJ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Guest JoeQ1966

Jose when I started back I did my basic routine but only alot less..I would do 1-2 sets per body part that I was working with lighter weight for higher reps.I had to force myself to believe that I was working for healing and not a personal best or bulking up.Its easy to be impatient in working out.Just dont overdo it and just try and get good bloodflow.one of the things that I would do for my wrist and forearms is a kind of leverage exercise..you add weight to just one end of a dumbell bar.You hold the end without the weight  and hold it straight out..you palm will be towards your leg and the weight will ge straight out in front of you..you then use your wrist to tilt weight towards your upper forearm..go light and make sure you control this movement..Just be carefull in your lifts and you should get over your injury.

good luck            Joe

Guest baldy

I haven't ever had any tendonitis in my lower arm, but some folks on here who have report that wrist roller work (both directions) and extensor work helped alleviate their problems. This is what Joe is talking about, working everything equally.

Equally doesn't mean you will pick up, oh say, the same weight on IronMind's Eagle Loops and Outer Limit Loops (I wish), it just means that you train all areas of the lower arm with the same relative intensity.

Hope you get better soon.

Guest JOSE PINILLA

Guys,

Thans a lot for your help.  I have been on RICE therapy for 2 weeks and the pain has subsided a lot.  I still have some residual pain, but it is manageable.

Do you guys think I should start rehab right now or should I wait until I experience no pain? I have talked to the doctor and he says I should, but would like to hear other opinions?

Jose

Guest Canthar

I think I can say from experience here that you should start re-hab as soon as possible but take it slow and easy. Warm the area up very well at first I would even say use a heating pad before working it, and ofcourse ice it afterwards.

Nic

As another note start to correct any imbalance first say 1-2 weeks before doing the rest. Even just stimulating the area that little bit can help.