Manilla Rope Hardware

kerbjr

For any of you guys who have ordered Manilla rope thru mcmaster carr, where did you get the hardware to hang the silly things at. I really want to do better than just tying a knot around the rafters. Thanks in advance......Brett

For any of you guys who have ordered Manilla rope thru mcmaster carr, where did you get the hardware to hang the silly things at. I really want to do better than just tying a knot around the rafters. Thanks in advance......Brett

The stuff your looking for if hard to come by. They prefer to sell to rope sellers, so they can charge crazy prices for there rope. There is an interesting homemade version over at crossfit:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/37180.html

scroll part way down. Personally I'd just tie a knot, if your climbing. For short ropes, that is a great idea. If you go that route for climbing, I'd add a safety wire. Basically, a closeline type wire that would go over the rafter and clamped to the rope.

Edited by apttdwler

I haven't done it in years but splicing an eye into a rope is not that difficult. Go to the library and get a book on it - Practice on a smaller rope just because it's easier - then make an eye in the end and you can mount it any place you want it. Safely and cheaply. It's not a hard thing to do.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Apologies, but this is a plug for a rope device I have on offer. I too started with a plain 36mm Manila rope and backspliced it to make a loop for hanging it up wth. I wasn't happy with the result and tried a few other methods before settling on a steel collar and shackle arrangement. I like the result and the feedback I've received from others that have tried it has been positive. If you're interested have a look at www.shortrope.webeden.co.uk. Thanks

....and I describe how it's made if you want to have a go yourself.

Couldn't get the link to work???

Thanks for the replies, what I ended up doing is taking a 2x8, screwed it on top of 2 2x6's to attatch it to rafters and then drilled a 1 1/2 in hole in the 2x8, put the rope thru and tied a knot in it...Works great so far.............