Plyometric Ideas For Gripping?

Get an easy gripper and close it as fast as you can, or you can do the gripper on a string exercise of John Brookfields. Just hang a gripper you can close with decent haste from a string then reach forward and try to close it all in one explosive motion. These are all I know of now as I'm pretty much new to specific grip training as well.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

You can also toss a stress ball between hands, crushing as hard as you can when you catch(It'll always be slightly off).

Take a block weight you can lift and toss it from hand to hand catching it with the hand facing down and grabbing the top of the block only. Very difficult. A better description with pictures in is John Brookfield's "Mastery of Hand Strength."

• 1 year later...

no reason plyometrics shudnt work in hand training.....flexor carpi radialis is predominantly type 2 fibres, but if your trying to apply plyometrics to a heavy gripper! pffft forget about it!

no matter how explosive you try to be with your target gripper it will stil not be anything near explosive, the plate catches cud be good tho?

Get an easy gripper and close it as fast as you can, or you can do the gripper on a string exercise of John Brookfields. Just hang a gripper you can close with decent haste from a string then reach forward and try to close it all in one explosive motion. These are all I know of now as I'm pretty much new to specific grip training as well.
Take a block weight you can lift and toss it from hand to hand catching it with the hand facing down and grabbing the top of the block only. Very difficult. A better description with pictures in is John Brookfield's "Mastery of Hand Strength."

^^^ Exactly what they said to do. :)

Edited by StalwartSentinel

. The "plyometric" component starts at about the one-minute mark.

A more reasonable person might want to use a 16-pound shot rather than the 28-pounder used in the video.

I might bring this object for use in the GGC medley.

What you guys are describing is more of a dynamic effort as opposed to a reactive expression. A plyometric push-up might display some of the qualities you are trying to express, if done a certain way.

It would be difficult to apply a true plyometric effect to the hands specifically. One option off the top of my head might imitating a volleyball set type drill.

All in all, I would personally advise against trying to apply strict plyo theories to the hands. Just get stronger. The structure and size of the musculature and supporting units just makes me nervous about trying to use "shock training."

It would be difficult to apply a true plyometric effect to the hands specifically. One option off the top of my head might imitating a volleyball set type drill.

All in all, I would personally advise against trying to apply strict plyo theories to the hands. Just get stronger. The structure and size of the musculature and supporting units just makes me nervous about trying to use "shock training."

I agree, not worth the risks associated with explosive training. Just focus on getting your grip stronger...

I don't know if this really qualifies as plyometric but this last few days I have been flipping and catching various stone blocks that I found in my landlords' barn. I play a game I think of as "corners" where I pinch one corner of the stone and hold it down at my side, then I whip my arm up, spinning the stone at the top of the swing. I try to catch it at the next corner as quickly as I can before the stone begins its fall. The pinch-release-pinch action is pretty taxing and forces my hands to be quick and accurate even when they fatigue. I use a wedge shaped stone so the the size of the pinch varies and this too is challenging my grip. I keep at it until I drop or miss the corners a couple of times and then stop.

There is also an old drill I learned a while ago, where you lay out a bunch of coins flat on a table. Then grab them up as quick as you can by pinching them between your thumb and another finger. This doesn't make your hands stronger just fast and nimble.

odin, that 28-lb shot bouncing on the mini-trampoline looks badass!

About the only thing I use is on my #1; I just close it and then let it release open as fast as possible but stopping it just before it opens completely and shutting it as fast as possible. Could be a bit 'petty' or 'menial' but compared to releasing slowly might make a difference lol.