Roylan hand grip exerciser

Guest Shenandoah

Guest Shenandoah

A few months ago I purchased the Roylan Gripper:

Rolyan® Ergonomic Hand Exerciser

I find it to be the perfect hand grip exerciser and I am more than satisfied with its performance:

1. It is ergonomically designed to perfectly fit your hand.

2. Quality construction - the draw is absolutely smooth with no catches or jams.

3. Adjustable - You can set the distance between the handle and the inner handle with clips that are provided.

4. Unlimited resistance - You can keep adding power bands 'til the cows come home.

There was one annoying aspect to this device which was quickly remedied. It comes with a foam sleeve around the handle which tends to rotate as you squeeze. I quickly remedied this by cutting the sleeve off and then laminating it to the handle. I took it a step further by laminating a sheet of 4-5 oz. leather, rough side out, to the sleeve and also to the inside handle for a good, non-slip grip.

Greetings Shen,

Hmm,interesting new toy,have you compared it to any of the IM or PDA grippers?

JJ

Guest Shenandoah

No, I haven't, JJ.

As far as I'm concerned, the Roylan fits all the criteria I would ever want in a gripper, so I have no need or desire to try anything else.

I also like it because the draw is straight back, rather than being on a fulcrum, which applies equal resistance to all of your fingers.

I played with one of these in a store once.  It offered almost no resistance, but I don't remember how many rubber bands were on it.  As the site says, this is a rehab product, probably meant for arthritis suffers, not athletes.  If they made one with steel springs and a steel frame it might be worthwhile.

Guest Shenandoah

It offered no resistance but you don't remember how many rubber bands were on it....one, maybe? two?

They can classify it as anything they want. I've got mine loaded up with layers of bands and it gives me all the resistance I want. And then I'm going to add some more bands.

I have something with the exact same design, that I got my Freshman year of highschool, although, it has wood handles and steel springs, it came with 6 springs, but I only have 5 now.  Rick Walker has used it.  Most people can't fully close it with the 5 springs, it is no joke.

Also, The Ivanko supergripper is probably a better choice because it is cheaper and if you are strong enough to close it, you can buy more metal springs.  Furthermore, that may be able to fit unlimited bands, it is plastic and it does not have the structural integrity of something metal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same one RiotGrip is talking about. They come up on Ebay from time to time. Mine has all 6 springs, and I have added 2 of my own.

Guest Shenandoah

Say what you all will. No, the Roylan is not steel, and, no, it does not utilize torsion steel springs (ooooooooooh!!). Hard plastic is every bit as strong as is needed and the grip on that thing fits your hand like a glove. And, once again, you get that thing loaded up with power bands, and you've got all the resistance you need. I REALLY like it! And I'm no weakling. I've been working out for the last 16 years. I'm 5'9" tall, 195 lbs., 17-3/4" arms and 14" forearms.

Shenandoah,

I don't think anyone ever called you weak, furthermore having big arms doesn't mean you have a strong grip.  The Roylan hand exerciser may be the best thing since sliced bread.  However, I'd still reccomend buying a CoC #2 gripper if you can afford it.  I'm not trying to tell you how to train, but having a gripper will give you a better idea of where you stand.  Having 17 3/4" arms is a measurement that anyone on this board can understand and make a comparison, the same is true of closing a #X gripper.  Closing the Roylan Hand exerciser with X number of blue bands on it doesn't give you any basis to compare your own crushing strength to that of the grip elite, and other strong guys on this board.  If your not concerned about knowing where you stand, then disregard my statement.  If you want to have a more definable measure of crushing strength and can afford it, get a #2 to test yourself with occasionally, and continue to train with the Roylan.

Guest Shenandoah

RiotGrip...

Thanks for your response. OK, you've convinced me. Yes, I can afford a COC, but I have a question....why so expensive? I found other hand grips of the same design as the COC's that come in pairs and cost between 4 and 10 dollars. I realize that the COC provides more resistance, but $30 more worth of resistance? I went, I think, right to the source and they cost 27 pounds which equates to $42. I found another site that sells them for $24. Do they come in pairs? The handles of the COC's look like they're made of steel. Are they? What does SOS stand for? (In the Marines it stood for "sh!t on the shingles") Let me guess - Sultan of Squish? What's the difference between COC and SOS. Which # COC do you workout with? Can you close it all the way? Have I asked enough questions? You don't have to answer that.

While I'm at it, just let me get a little more praise in here for the Ryolan. It is sturdy and there is no binding when squeezing it at all. I like the handles that are form fitted to a natural grip, and I like the straight back draw. Tempered, space age plastic is very strong. I loaded the Ryolan up with all the bands that came with it and then I went to a stationary store and bought a box of thick rubber bands and added a bunch of those until I had the resistance I wanted. I will be able to continue adding bands for as long as I want to. How many pounds am I squeezing? I don't have a clue. But if I get a COC, I guess I'll have a barometer to work with.

Thanks again,

Shen

Guest Shenandoah

Got it!  :D

Hopefully, within the next couple of weeks I will be the proud owner of a shiny new official COC #1!

I can do a couple of sets on my Ryolan and then a set or two on my COC. So, I'll be doing more gripping sets.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *whew*

Shen,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1.  No they do not come in pairs

2.  The handles are made of aircraft grade aluminum, not steel, because it would be too heavy

3.  SOS stands for standard of strength, they are very similar to IM, thats as much as I'll say, and they are not selling SoS grippers anymore.

4.  I have closed the #3, I am certified, but I cannot close a #3 consistently, I workout with my newer IM #2 which is a very difficult gripper, I also workout with my SoS 378 in-lb gripper which has the same size spring as my IM #3 but is easier to close.

Hope I've answered your questions, good luck with your training and let me know what you think of the IM #1 when you get it.  I think you'll like the feel of the knurled handles.  Train hard!

• 2 months later...
A few months ago I purchased the Roylan Gripper:

Rolyan® Ergonomic Hand Exerciser

I find it to be the perfect hand grip exerciser and I am more than satisfied with its performance:

I know this was posted a while ago, but that gripper looks like a peice of shit. I think "perfect hand grip exerciser" is quite a stretch.