I Am Up To 12 Minutes Non Stop On The50 Pound

kelby

sledge hammer. burns like hell. but i am getting better at it. my forearms are getting more ripped, and i can notice my grip is way stronger along with my enduracne and strength especially for grapplng. i think i might be able to do 20 minutes nonstop by june. twenty minutes is my mark, because that is what john used to do. and once in awhile he woould do it for one house non stop.

i think i might be able to do 20 minutes nonstop by june. twenty minutes is my mark, because that is what john used to do.

Can't you just increase the weight instead of just going for time? :unsure

i think i might be able to do 20 minutes nonstop by june. twenty minutes is my mark, because that is what john used to do.

Can't you just increase the weight instead of just going for time? :unsure

Probably depends on what his goals are...and what he is doing? Swinging it? If so 50 pounds seems like a lot when the goal is 20 minutes? Even then though unless we know the intensity that doesn't tell us much. 50 pounds x how many(?) x 20 minutes. ?

What's he doing? Hitting a tire or something? Or what?

I've been trying to find a way for me to do some sort of "cardio" that's not cardio per se, but stuff like this, that also strengthens.. :P

What's he doing? Hitting a tire or something? Or what?

I've been trying to find a way for me to do some sort of "cardio" that's not cardio per se, but stuff like this, that also strengthens.. :P

I am getting a house within the next month and the first thing I want to do is put a big tire in the back yard and go to work swinging a sledge.

i use a fifty pound sledge hammer, hit a tire. i try and do 20 reps on each side. i dont want to use anymore weight. i also want good cardio for grappling.

check out my gallery that is how i workout with the hammer. plus i do curls and press it up by the handles couple times.

After seeing that, that is pretty darn impressive. Really though, you might try swinging a smaller one (relatively) and swinging it faster/with more intensity for cardio work.

Interesting stuff!! My dad just changed his 4 tyres on the Mitsubishi Montero, pretty big tyres, and the old ones are still here. I'm gonna grab them before they're thrown away, I think I just found a use for at least 2 of them :P .. but I only have a 6 and 8 lbs... I guess I'd have to go much faster to actually work out.

check out my gallery that is how i workout with the hammer. plus i do curls and press it up by the handles couple times.

After seeing that, that is pretty darn impressive. Really though, you might try swinging a smaller one (relatively) and swinging it faster/with more intensity for cardio work.

like i said before i am working on strength and cardio, along with strengthening my hands and wrist. the great john brookfield sholwed me this. and now it is working wonders for me. the only way you are really gonna improve endurance is lots of reps with heavy weight. i tried working with smaller hammers it is boring. knowing you are not getting anystrength or endurance. why i say this, will use a lightweight or bodyweight only and grapple someone strong. you tend to tire out fast, but when you used med to heavy weight and grapple someone stronger you tend to last alot longer. trust me after couple minutes of the fifty pound swinging your heart rate goes up, and you start breathing heavy.

Edited by kelby

That's what I try to do, is hit a tire for high reps/high sets. But I'm just using a 20 lb hammer. It is good cardio work, but I don't want to go higher cuz I start to tweak my shoulder on anything much heavier (which is why I don't do kettlebell swings either). Kelby is becoming one of my heroes, and it's cool watching your progress reports. I'd like to make steady progress up the lever feats ladder like you, Kelby! Congratulations.

Kelby, are you the guy who was asking Brookfield about this on the Masters of velocity forum?

I've started doing these occasionally with a 14lb sledge I got. Definitely a good all round workout and especially seems to hit the thumb pads. Just try not to miss the tyre as it makes a big hole in your lawn :ohmy

I thought the same about kelby's video.. he was doing that thing with a kid running like 3 inches close to him... kids playing + 50lb sledges swinging = chance of something awful happening man!!! Even if you have great confidence in your control over the 50lb sledge, I wouldn't want the kid to drive his toy-car anywhere close me while doing that! Just a thought! :)

yup i am the man asking john about velocity trainig. once i reach my target of 20 minutes nonstop. i will order some training ropes and work on those. did you try the ropes yet. and yes i am careful about my son. he was a few feet away when i was recording myself. thanks for the warning.

Hullo Kelby, just checked out your gallery, your sledge looks like a bespoke item, with a large mild steel billet welded to a stainless handle. :unsure

Impressive stuff, just wondered if you swap arms when you're sledging or d'you stay right hand, as in the vid?