2" vertical bar deadlifts

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Well I am really into overhand deadlifts now. I don't know if I even decent on them . I know I am the only person I have seen do them at my gym. I did 355 on a 2" bar and 250 on a 3" bar. Well anyway today I got my 2" loading pin and my BBE gripper. I am going to do some vertical deadlifts today. What kind of weight is respectible on these ? I have seen 1" but not many 2". I guess that should tell me something. I think I seen someone say that 220lbs is good . Is that right ?

Thanks guys

355 lbs 2" vertical bar deadlift ... with one hand ? If so, you are the best in the world.

I did 285 on a non-knurled 2" bar and Jim Wylie and David Horne can go over 300 but 355 ... it's amazing.

250 on a 3" bar, single handed is a monster feat.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

The weights I posted where overhand deadlifts. Not vertical bars. I did 355 on a 2" bar overhand deadlift and 250 on a 3" bar overhand deadlift. Not vertical bar. But I will find out today what I can do vertical.

I think that 220 would be a reasonable lift Harlan.

Let us know how you get on.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Well first off I need to make a correction. I did 355 overhand deadlift with a 2 3/8 bar not a 2" bar.

Well, now for the sissy-like report on the vertical bar. You know , I was feeling pretty good about the progress that I have made on the grippers and my overhand deads. Today I got sent back down to earth with a bang. The 2" vertical bar kicked my butt. All I could do was a shamefull 175. I tried to tell myself it was my first time,and it was.I also tried to tell myself that the bar is brand new and it was slick with fresh paint on it . But when it comes down to it, I got my butt kicked ! Plain and simple. But, I will get better !!!!!!!!

My hats off to you guys that are pulling big weight on this exercise.

Your thumbs were taxed from the heavy thick bar deadlifts. With fresh thumbs you should pull 220 pounds with little effort.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Harlan Jacobs

Barbender you where right.One week later I did verticals without overhands and did 225. I felt more comfortable on them this time.

could someone describe the vertical deadlift? ive take the end off my olmypic bbell and have been  using it as a leverage bar and a thick db. for the vertical dl do you just stand it on its end, load it up  & pull it off the floor?

david

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Whitleyd - Vertical bar deadlifts are done with a loading pin. Mine is about 18" long and stands upright with a larger diameter at the bottom. All you have to do is load weight on it ,grab it with one hand and stand yp with it. Easy , Right ?

Roark - Yes. That is what I am calling overhand deadlifts. Both palms facing you. Really good with a 2 3/8 diameter bar !

Harlan,

That's real good.  I'm doing DL's on my 2" thick bar, and pulling close to 400 pounds - uh, that's not with an overhanded grip, though.  (Sup/Pro grip)

Does it seem easier to you to DL on a thick bar than a normal sized Oly bar??

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Thanks Snott,

This is going to sound dumb, but I have not done many reg deadlifts. I never done them at all untill 3 years ago when I got into doing strongman stuff. Then I only done them about 1 month before the contest.If you want to really hurt your ego, try overhands with a 3" bar. I did them today. I got a whopping 250.

Harlam,

250 on a 3inch bar,very nice,have you tried doing any with a

french grip(overhand)also thumbless,i tried some before,got

100kilos,on a 2 inch bar.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Wow !  Thumbless ?  On a 3" bar .  Talk about an ego masher ! No I have never tried them . But that's not saying I won't.