Well, Getting There, And ?

bentpresser

Tried IM stock for the very first time, and did a cut 4.75 yellow. Kinked a 4.5 big time, but no go after that. I've been training on home depot BL grade 2s, 1/4x6 and that seems about equal to the IM 6x1/4 IMO.

The 4.5 yellow is about = to a red, correct?

Great bend. In poundage it may be about the same but in real world bending I bet most of these guys are going to tell you that a red is much harder. It's really hard to compare 7 inch stock with 4.5 as some people naturally like the longer stuff when other guys like John Beatty admit that the 7 inch is tougher for them. I think you'll find that the thicker 7 inch stuff has an awkward quality to it that takes some getting used to. Really just depends on if you take a nature knack to the 7 inch stuff.

My toughest 7 inch bend calibrated at 355 lbs where a blue nail cut to 5.5 inches or maybe 5.25 would probably hit about the same but I guarantee you I could smoke the cut-down blue where the 7 inch drill rod is still a very tough bend for me.

May be different for you though and the 7 inch may fall right in line. Never know til you try.

Again, great bend. I guess you can kill a 60d if you can do a yellow cut that short?

Tim

Yeah it is so hard to compare diff length stock, basically you dont, I can put a decent kink in a crs 1/4 4.5inch reverse but struggle to put away G5s consistantly at this stage, and a red is miles above where I am at, its weird how the poundages add up and stuff but all things add to just comparing same size stock/gauge as the most accurate.

Great bends by the way!

Edited by verdigriz

Thanks guys, long way to go yet. I actually feel better biomechanically speaking on 4.5 to 5.5 bars. The red would probably be a bitch for me at 7".

Yeah, you can only compare lengths of the same, or at most 1/2 different. Its just leverage. At 7" you're arms are farther out (unless you are very tall and long armed) and can't get as much force into the bar. I just figured this out with my recent bends. It takes a different technique to get 7" bars.

If you really want to nail a RED then bending different lengths of stock WILL give you strength and condition your hands but you will get one quicker if you train on 7.5inch lengths the RED is 7 1/8-7 1/4" so you cut your stock to 7.5inches and just hone your technique and practise blasting into the bars then once you have your technique dialled to switch to 5/16"stock a bit easier than the RED then again practise blasting into the stock then its time for the RED but if you are just happy to be good at bending all different lengths and are not worried about how long the journey will take then thats fine enjoy the ride :D

The 7.5" stock makes it slightly harder to start/kink the bar but once you jump to the RED and lose that 1/4" you will be suprised at how much it helps.

Well, I went to the hardware store today and purchased a 3ft, 5/16 crs rod. First, cut it to 7", and killed it. Harder than the 7" yellow, but not crazy harder. Then again I was pretty angry, and ready for war. Cut more, to 6.5, and then 6. Bent them too. Kinked the heck out of 5.75 but couldn't finish it. The 6" was pretty much as difficult as the 4.5 yellow that I tried a few days ago, but couldn't finish. So, that's probably a new PR in a sense. BUT ... I am very skeptical that this steel purchased today is as strong as a red. One way to find out.

The time is at hand for an IM steel purchase. Maybe you should also get some FBBC bars as well. Try one of each and if they don't go all the way don't go after any more of them until you have done some volume bending with that store bought 5/16 stock from the hardware store. Sounds like you are close. Good luck, and I will leave you with this motivational quote.

"My mind is a machine gun and my body is the bullets" GG Allin

Good bending there! Definitely sounds like it's time to buy some IM stock and buy a ton of the Bastard stock. Unless you plan on certing on the Red with the Ironmind Pads...in which case you'd better prepare for a little pain.