Hi From Sheffield

khfm865

Hi All,

Very new to gripping - have been at it for 12 days now.

I enjoy training for a laugh - used to do a bit of powerlifting although I am average:

Bench 355lbs

Squat 510lbs

Deadlift 590lbs

I only lift raw - not into the support suits / bench shirts.

I want to train my crushing grip to be able to close a COC 3 and improve my deadlift.

I bought myself a COC 1.5 and 2.5 and 3 12 days ago and have been messing about with

them since. So far I have closed my 2.5 twice. I can rep my 1.5 for 10 reps. I am working

on the 3.

My hands are taking a hell of a bruising at the moment and my strength varies from day to

day - not consistent.

I have seen posts on the KTA programme and can not understand how such a high volume of

training can be beneficial relative to conventional programmes as per other muscle groups. I don't

dispute results as loads of people seem to swear by it. Why can you pound your hands so regularly

compared with other muscle groups?

Thanks,

Bill

Couple of points - above average lifter - those are good raw numbers and secondly start with a prgram. Your 'messing about' is too much for the hands and they need some rest (mine are torn up right now from V-bar).

The KTA program works on the idea of 'over' or 'super compensation'. You batter the hands for set period, rest, then come back stronger and repeat. The hands do not get as Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed as legs would from squats and do not have the effect on your CNS in the same way. They still get tired but not on the same level.

Couple of points - above average lifter - those are good raw numbers and secondly start with a prgram. Your 'messing about' is too much for the hands and they need some rest (mine are torn up right now from V-bar).

The KTA program works on the idea of 'over' or 'super compensation'. You batter the hands for set period, rest, then come back stronger and repeat. The hands do not get as Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed as legs would from squats and do not have the effect on your CNS in the same way. They still get tired but not on the same level.

Thanks for your help Steve - much appreciated.

What sort of programme should I start with in terms of frequency, reps and sets. I have been doing a few plate wrist curls, levers etc and my whole hand is shredded today.

Cheers

I do some form of training every other day and while not all sessions involve grip I can pinch or do grippers 2x a week and recover. The main issue is tendon and joint strength recovery.

I do some form of training every other day and while not all sessions involve grip I can pinch or do grippers 2x a week and recover. The main issue is tendon and joint strength recovery.

Sound - thanks

I think that twice a week on grip plus my 4 times a week westside cycle should allow time for recovery.

Cheers

Also you'll need to allow time for your skin to toughen up for the grippers - although I'd imagine you didn't get to a 590lb deadlift with baby soft hands. :D

Steve, you might want to emend your posting(if you don't want it deleted).

The other day I got a pm from zcor letting me know about the "unwritten rule" :rolleyes re "F bombing"(an americanism I think? :unsure) , my post was self censored with asterisks and was still deleted! :calm

Bill,

To start with try the workout for beginners in the Grip FAQ section.

That way you'll get a basic all round grounding to start your journey to whatever you want to do.

David

Hey dude.

Welcome to the board. Nice start you have there. A #2.5 close is a very good place to begin. You will close the #3 soon enough.

I would suggest you train grippers after squats. For me this is when i am at my strongest. I wouldn't worry about the hands getting beat up too much - it is part of grip. Just make sure you do take a day off here and there and pay special attention to hand recovery. For hand recovery try contrast baths, extensor bands, stretching, light gripper closes and light massage and for skin tears tiger balm (im sells it) is very effective. This sort of thing allows me to train grip 5-6 days a week.

Good luck with the #3.

Welcome Aboard, good luck on the #3