2nd Try At Long Bar Bending...

Matt Brouse

Nice bend! Looks like you had strength to spare on that one. That zinc plated is an expensive way to go though. First time I went to a steel supplier I felt like a kid who's found an 80% off candy outlet!

You should try the 7/16 or 1/2 inch now.

Keep up the long bar bending. Not many on here practice it.

Tim

Yeah, I hear ya on the steel supplier, I just grabbed two on a whim from Menards a few weeks back. Been meaning to try it for a long time, was just time to man up that day...

I think I found a supplier near my college up here too actually, so, I just might have a few more tries at it. I think I am more interested in bending toward the standards used at the WSM years ago (that we got into in my "first" long bar bending thread) than coiling and such but that is sweet too.

I hear you on the WSM bending. I've tried to duplicate that too. I use the standards that were in the 80s rather than the 77 competition. In the 77 competition I think the 5/8 was only 3 1/2 foot long where in the 80s is was 4 foot. The 3/8 was 2.5 foot and the 1/2 inch was 3 foot. I've inserted 9/16 for good measure though at 4 foot but I'm going to switch it to 3.5 foot. Then the 11/16 must've been 4.5 foot because some of the final stats were over 4 foot when bent. 11/16 would be an incredible bend; the 5/8 darn near felt like it was going to cave my skull in. As a matter of fact, just FINDING 11/16 in Hot rolled steel is a feat anymore.

I need to work at it more. I've got the 9/16 to completion by WSM rules but my 5/8 bend would probably only get me a fifth or 6th place finish. It's an awkward angle on the harder stuff but an excellent workout. Somebody told me that they recently saw the 97 competition or somewhere there abouts and it had the bar bending in it but I thought it was nixed in the mid 80s.

Keep it up man! You've got some steam to spare and plus your using steel that behaves more like cold-rolled than hot rolled.

Keep us posted on your next bends!

Tim

Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled harder? Seems like whatshisnuts said HRS was harder in that article...but I could be foggy.

YOU GOT THE POWER EASY -- All you need now is the technique to figure out how to hold the metal to bend it into what configuration you want. Watch Big Steve, Dennis Rogers, Hammerhead aka: Eric Vine or some of the others that bend the long steel.

Cold rolled is definately harder in long bar bending as well as short. As a matter of fact I've got 9/16 colled rolled that's harder than 5/8 hot rolled. Cold rolled is way too springy for long bar though. Makes an ugly bend too and if you like the strongman bar bending they always used hot rolled except in 81 when that had to substitude 11/16 cold rolled and it hurt both Capes and Kaz who were trying to bend it.

Lot's of risk for very little reward. It's like trying to punch a trampoline. Plus you'll never get it to 8 inches or under because it just springs back even if the ends touched you'd probably still have a foot or more of space.

Tim

First things first, get gloves :laugh Had to...

Good job on the bend. When you want to start scrolling remember to go a lot smaller. I can barely get 5/16 to coil around much at all, but 1/4 makes all sorts of tightly wound coil designs. Keep us up to date when you get to your third bend.