Grippers

Mjoynt

I was just curious as to the average order of difficulty of certain grippers.  Currently, the hardest gripper I own is the Ironmind SINGLE stamped #2.  My question is this:  what is the next toughest gripper?  Is it the DOUBLE stamped #2, or the Beef Builder Master?  I know that the grippers vary on occasion but I was just wondering what others have experienced.  Thanks!

It would be the BBM.  The double stamped gripper doesn't hold any guarantee that it will be tougher than your current #2, but some people own one claim that it is tougher than a regular #2.  I tried one once and thought it was about on level with a regular #2.

I've heard that the new BBMs are not as wide, I would go with the double stamped #2 because it is harder than my WIDE BBM

The last BBM I felt was SUPER weak.  It was equal to if not weaker than my 2.  Jeff Roark has a BBM that is real tough, but another friend of mine has a 2 that is much tougher than it.  I've closed a 3 a few times lefty, and have never shut that 2 lefty. So it's up in the air.  The new BB grippers I've felt have lost their width.  They came down smaller and they've lost a lot of their tough reputation.

Thanks for the help guys!  That's disappointing to hear about the Beef Builder grippers.  I remember hearing comments about the BB Master being like a #2.75.  Bearcat74, I hope that weak BBM was a rare exception.

Guest StrongerthanArne

I have a new BBM and two new double stamped #2's. The BBM is considerably weaker than the weaker of the two #2's. I have tried four -01 single stamped #2's and the hardest of those four grippers was very similar in difficulty to the BBM.

It appears the grippers are getting even LESS predictable, if thats possible!

Bottom line...you never no until you complete the purchase.

It is entirely possible to close a gripper that currently you cannot, by just training on the grippers you have alone. It can be done without the use of plate loaded grippers or such devices. In my case I progressed to occaisional #3 closings without even doing strapholds . I treated the #3 as an isometric hold that little by little would get closer to the shutting point. In other words squeeze it as hard as you can and then hold for several seconds. It feels like you are trying to move the unmoveable, except that in time it will move.

I agree with OldGuy. I only train using grippers. Although I do use strap holds. I have made great progress over the past few months. I am on target for my goal.

You have ten different grippers; so do I. You know the orders

of difficulties of your ten; I know mine. Absolutely no crossover reference value.

If yours are labeled 1 thru 10 with 10 being hardest, and I use

the same system for mine, still no crossover values.

Heath told us that my #4 was 'two tons harder' than his.

These designations are close to useless, and with production

techniques apparently helter-skelter, these meaningless

markings continue to confuse people who assume a 3 is a 3.

At the AOBS dinner Heath (Bearcat74) closed a 3 for 15 reps.

Heath, could you close every 3 you have encountered for that

many reps?

The only sure thing is that a sale is a sale.

At the AOBS dinner Heath (Bearcat74) closed a 3 for 15 reps.

Heath, could you close every 3 you have encountered for that

many reps?

Nope

Guest Jeff Roark

All I know is Joe Roarks #4 is the toughest gripper I have ever felt of. It is above the BBWC in my opinion. It has a strange feeling about it. My Dad looked at it and said if he ran over it with his rock truck it he doubt it would budge. Joe does your other grippers have the same feel as this one? If so I would like to try your #2 and #3 one of these days. Also I noticed it was double stamped, I thought this was only on the newer grippers. Are your other ones double stamped? Were they all bought at the same time?

Jeff,

My other grippers are more 'standard' strength, though

I have traded or given away several grippers in the past

few months. Currently I have only a trainer, 1,2. Don't

even have a 3 at the moment. I prefer wrist curl work.

I did not have a clue that my #4 was as hard as people

are now saying, because it is the only 4 I have ever

felt, and may I add the only 4 that has so far defeated

me...

If Heath does not think by Aug 10 that he has a real

shot at it, then I will ask him to send it to the next,

and final, person I have promised it to.

I remember feeling how hard it was to even MOVE, let

alone shut, and being in awe that anyone could close

a 4 for an inch or so. Now, I see that the 4's are like

the 3's, though I do suspect, based on what I've been told,

mine must be super strong.

:)

• 1 month later...

Robert,

I'm glad to hear that.  I had my sister take a whole bunch of pics of me closing the #3 to send to IronMind for my certification.  And they all came out GREAT.... except for one thing.  At the last moment, I turned the handles the other way and the stamped "3" was covered by my hand.

Can you say.... "goober"?!?   :blush  :hehe  :crazy  :hehe

Blimey, almost in spite of myself I actually think I agree with old guy and after all the nice things he says too :p PS: your cars been towed ha ha

I bought a double stamped #2 and it is much easier than my older single stamped #2.  I also have a BBM which is even easier than my double stamped #2.  I have some buddies trying to close my single stamped #2.  They have a perfect progression, trainer, #1, BBM, double stamped #2, single stamped #2.  Atleast that's how my grippers are.   :hehe