Common Sense Check

MaverickBU

Basically, in the last 3 or 4 months I've made great progression from grip beginner to grip enthusiast. I can close a IM #2, tear phonebooks and cards, and do some basic pinching and levering stuff. As of late though, my hands and forearms are getting REALLY sore and stingy during all grip exercises and stays that way for well over 24 hours. Not normal fatigue and soreness like I got in the beginning, but actual throbbing and stinging. Its affecting me to the point where i have a problem gripping the bar for my weight training.

To address this I'll be taking the next 1-2 weeks off of any direct grip training. I hate to do this since I was progressing quick and I like grip training, but reducing volume and intensity of these workouts did nothing to help. I've tried contrast baths, but its a temporary fix, it just soothes the stinging for a while. Soooo, is the common sense "take some time off" approach the right answer here or is there something else I should consider?

Basically, in the last 3 or 4 months I've made great progression from grip beginner to grip enthusiast. I can close a IM #2, tear phonebooks and cards, and do some basic pinching and levering stuff. As of late though, my hands and forearms are getting REALLY sore and stingy during all grip exercises and stays that way for well over 24 hours. Not normal fatigue and soreness like I got in the beginning, but actual throbbing and stinging. Its affecting me to the point where i have a problem gripping the bar for my weight training.

To address this I'll be taking the next 1-2 weeks off of any direct grip training. I hate to do this since I was progressing quick and I like grip training, but reducing volume and intensity of these workouts did nothing to help. I've tried contrast baths, but its a temporary fix, it just soothes the stinging for a while. Soooo, is the common sense "take some time off" approach the right answer here or is there something else I should consider?

sounds like some good progress 3 years ago when i joined the board my hands and arms killed me to everyone said wear gloves to bed and i did and it helped then i was adding hand warmers on really bad days plus taking aspirin i was trying to do everything and paying for it as well i have found out some things are harder to progress in for me its grippers so now i will pick one thing and train for that then move on to the next unless you are going to compete in any grip contests this works fine as time goes by the pain will go away unless you are suffering from arthritis to like me then you will have really bad days i am looking forward to summer thats when i can make some gains and if you wife laughs at you for the gloves at least it feels good hope this helps but for some reason no one ever puts there age in the profile so im guessing at some things good luck and hang in there :flame

Definitely good to take at least a week or two off, but still do your active recovery and make sure your diet is in order. Hope it clears up and stays away. Good luck.

Happens to us all. Extend your training schedule to allow for recovary. In my own example I used to take seven days to work through my routine and now take 10.

Edited by mobsterone

One thing that most do is look at a training week as 7 days - that's not necessary. Workouts can be set up on many other rotations than the standard week - every other day, every third day, every 2 1/2 days - kind of kidding but it's the way of thinking about things that is important. Like Steve said - try ten days etc - as intensity, recovery etc change - so must you.

One thing that most do is look at a training week as 7 days - that's not necessary. Workouts can be set up on many other rotations than the standard week - every other day, every third day, every 2 1/2 days - kind of kidding but it's the way of thinking about things that is important. Like Steve said - try ten days etc - as intensity, recovery etc change - so must you.

True. Most of the people I know (if not all) thinks they have small time to train in the gym because it's only 7 days. Forget the week and you make your own week (14 days in a week :D ).

Yeah, it's kind of weird how most routines are weekly. But then again maybe it has to do with gym hours or something.

Thanks guys, I'll be continuing my regular weight training and laying off the grip stuff til at least saturday. When I come back, I think I will shift my schedule to do 2 grip workouts every 10 days instead of every 7 as i have been and see how that works. Thanks for the tips.

Just my opinion but I would take off more than a week. I have a hard time recovering from grip it seems, and i have taken 10-14 days off and came back and been stronger than before. I once took off about 2 months and hardly lost any strength. You may be different, but I wouldn't worry that you will lose your gains with some time off. Dexterity balls can help keep your strength up without taxing the hands too much. Good luck.

Yo Mav!

I took 1.5 years off of squeezing grippers and pinching plates and my strength was maintained through everything else I do. Not recommending that you take that long off just saying that a couple weeks away from the grip specific feats will do you more good than harm.

There are also some other recovery techniques people have had some success with. Try sleeping with mittens on one night and see how you feel.

like these guys are saying, i'd take at least a month off. I had some soreness and tingling sensation in my wrists when i started bending about 2 months ago, not as bad as your're experiencing by the sound of it, but very similar. I did no grip or bending for 3 weeks, and came back fine with no pain. Infact in my first bending session after the 3 week break i hit PR's.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, believe it or not, I actually took the time off. My hands feel much better and I think I'm ready to go again. I tested where my strength is, and I am just missing closing the #2 now in my right hand, but I expected at least a little drop off. I'll doing a heavy grip workout once a week for now, and perhaps I'll increase as my hands allow, but for now I'm taking the tortoise path.

On a side note, I'm crazy excited to get back into it. I used the time off to research and acquire some new toys, including an 8 lb. sledge, pinch block, and rolling thunder. A bender's bag may be in the near future too.

Edited by MaverickBU