Training The Elbow

jad

I saw on David Hornes grip website that Bob Brown made a comment about training the elbow as it is the weakest link. Could Bob or any of the guys that know what he is referring to please explain this and some example workouts or a link to them? Thanks in advance.

Josh

I saw on David Hornes grip website that Bob Brown made a comment about training the elbow as it is the weakest link. Could Bob or any of the guys that know what he is referring to please explain this and some example workouts or a link to them? Thanks in advance.

Josh

Most likely the tendons and ligaments that allow you to produce side pressure.

As for exercises as pertaining to weight lifting you could probably look no further than Armpower.net or watch the training videos on Armbets.tv that has Bustams training.....

But they may be talking about something else entirely....

Thats my educated guess......

Your are basically correct. The two bones at the base of your elbow are held together by ligament. Down were you funny bone is. This is were you elbow is most vonurable during side pressure while your hand/wrist are in different positions. So what I mean is to train you side pressure while you hand is many different positions.(hook, toproll, straight wrist, flopped wrist) Because that ligament will only give so much. You will actually tear that ligamnet as you apply to much pressure. This is not nessasarily a bad thing. You just want to control it. Work your side pressure very carefully. Don't ever over train your side pressure. An overtrained muscle will heal in days or weaks. A overtrained tendon make take a month or two. BUT a over trained ligament is a tourn ligament and will take a year.

Add weight to you side pressure routine slowly. Make sure you are hooking and toprolling in practice. This will help your elbow to get used to more position.

Edited by bob brown

Your are basically correct. The two bones at the base of your elbow are held together by ligament. Down were you funny bone is. This is were you elbow is most vonurable during side pressure while your hand/wrist are in different positions. So what I mean is to train you side pressure while you hand is many different positions.(hook, toproll, straight wrist, flopped wrist) Because that ligament will only give so much. You will actually tear that ligamnet as you apply to much pressure. This is not nessasarily a bad thing. You just want to control it. Work your side pressure very carefully. Don't ever over train your side pressure. An overtrained muscle will heal in days or weaks. A overtrained tendon make take a month or two. BUT a over trained ligament is a tourn ligament and will take a year.

Add weight to you side pressure routine slowly. Make sure you are hooking and toprolling in practice. This will help your elbow to get used to more position.

Yeah thats my plan....I already got the fractional weight plates from a 1/4th pound to a pound......ready to make a slow go of it and hopefully avoid the injury and get the ligament used to side pressure...

Thanks Bob. What do you think of isometric work for side pressure? Currenlty, I'm hooking my rolling thunder handle up to a strap and hooking it up to a pole in my basement and doing toproll, hook, straight wrist etc.. I try to increase the time every couple of workouts and I control the slack to work different positions. I know my arm has that same achy, dull, pain and weakness that it has after a tourny. Currently I do 2-3 sets in each move and go about 25-30 sec per set and it leaves me plenty sore.

Thanks Bob. What do you think of isometric work for side pressure? Currenlty, I'm hooking my rolling thunder handle up to a strap and hooking it up to a pole in my basement and doing toproll, hook, straight wrist etc.. I try to increase the time every couple of workouts and I control the slack to work different positions. I know my arm has that same achy, dull, pain and weakness that it has after a tourny. Currently I do 2-3 sets in each move and go about 25-30 sec per set and it leaves me plenty sore.

Perfect.....John and I like to do side pressure against a door jam. Palm to wall, Then side of palm to wall. and Just flexing for 30 secs or so.

That is some interesting stuff there. Good discussion!

Bob,

How often do you guys do the side pressure work? If your already pulling 1xwk can someone do these a couple of times a wk on other days?

I do something everyday BUT.......VERY light. I have a pulley in my garage that comes down from the cieling. I hook a rolling thunder handle to it. I put about 35 pounds. I stand at my armwrestling table, pull the handle down to normal AW starting position. Then Pin it sideways 3 set of 25. This is very easy and your elbow should NEVER hurt. If you EVER feel discomfort in your elbow stop for a few days and start again.

Bob,

How often do you guys do the side pressure work? If your already pulling 1xwk can someone do these a couple of times a wk on other days?

I do something everyday BUT.......VERY light. I have a pulley in my garage that comes down from the cieling. I hook a rolling thunder handle to it. I put about 35 pounds. I stand at my armwrestling table, pull the handle down to normal AW starting position. Then Pin it sideways 3 set of 25. This is very easy and your elbow should NEVER hurt. If you EVER feel discomfort in your elbow stop for a few days and start again.

Bob.....what do you think Would be a strong starting weight for this exercise for someone like me who is a beginner....

Also Bob......What is the heaviest you have seen anyone go on this exercise?

Thanks for your help in advanced......

Bob,

Bob.....what do you think Would be a strong starting weight for this exercise for someone like me who is a beginner....

Also Bob......What is the heaviest you have seen anyone go on this exercise?

Thanks for your help in advanced......

If you have a very healthy elbow......I have heard that Allen Fisher has 175 pounds of side pressure. I am not sure how he does his exercise.

I would start with 25 pounds and keep adding 5 pounds every day until you feel ths slightest pressure on you elbow. Than take a few days rest and back off some weight until you get used to it.

Example. Mon 25, tue 30, wed 35, thur 40, fri 45, sat 50, sun 55 and so on.

Side pressure is hard to train. I do like the isometric hold on the walls in various grips. Allen Fisher can use 175lbs for side pressure? isn't that more than he weighs? I have to atleast question that. Not total disbelief bur I have to question it.

When you're actually doing a dynamic movement on side pressure do you use just your arm or your whole body like in AW (although not with shoulder behind it)?

When you're actually doing a dynamic movement on side pressure do you use just your arm or your whole body like in AW (although not with shoulder behind it)?

Both, and again dont over do it. If you ever feel pain in your elbow, rest and lower weight.

I've definetly had pain from to much side pressure before. It takes a long time to heal. I had a good arm wrestling session once and was expecting to be sore the next day. Well to my dismay...I wasn't so i pulled a little bit with my girl and having her use two arms and what not...MAN, was that a mistake!!! hahaha I had to take pain killers to help with the pain...and i don't take pain killers...hahaha. Meaning I usually handle everything without it. Not this time...haha. It was definitely a tendon type of pain though. Not muscularly. I currently have a problem with a tendon in my wrist. i can't do straight bar curls at all.

If you have a very healthy elbow......I have heard that Allen Fisher has 175 pounds of side pressure. I am not sure how he does his exercise.

I would start with 25 pounds and keep adding 5 pounds every day until you feel ths slightest pressure on you elbow. Than take a few days rest and back off some weight until you get used to it.

Example. Mon 25, tue 30, wed 35, thur 40, fri 45, sat 50, sun 55 and so on.

How do you do the exercise.....I try to position my arm the same way John does at the go and then go from there concentrating on form and keeping the proper distance between my hand and my shoulder. Because I don't think it would help to have your arm really close to your shoulder because you never start like that and almost always end up being in a 45 degree angle during most of the match. I think I will practice doing other techniques and motions once I build up a considerable amount of strength in the elbow.

After doing that test you have shown me (all in one day admittedly) I think I can do about 70 pounds fine....but I might lower it to about 60-65 to be safe as I am starting out.....

Thanks again maybe I will see you at a tournament someday.....

I also like bent over concentration curls. Sit down with dumbell between legs. Grab with right hand. Curl up to your left shoulder.

This will put some side pressure on your elbow and arm while working your bicep.

what i tried the other day as an attempt was to lay on my side on the floor...I don't have a bench yet. put my arm in a wrestling position and lifted the weight, twisting it in(weight goes upwards) toward my body. but i want to build a pulley system so that i can mimic the motion better. probably be more static contraction with body movement by leaning wile keeping my arm rigid.

thanks for all the info bob.

My training the elbow tendons and side pressure:

http://armpower.net/sklep_upload/ramie/ramie3.jpg

Is this a pulley you can buy for each Armwrestling Table from Mazurenko? Do you know the price, Pavel?

Here you have prices :

http://armpower.net/?page=mae

and shop:

http://armpower.net/shop/

And you can ask August Smisl - we training together in Gdynia with Rustam Babayev in July 2005

August several things bought

Edited by pawel r

Thanks, Pavel!

• 3 months later...
I've definetly had pain from to much side pressure before. It takes a long time to heal. I had a good arm wrestling session once and was expecting to be sore the next day. Well to my dismay...I wasn't so i pulled a little bit with my girl and having her use two arms and what not...MAN, was that a mistake!!! hahaha I had to take pain killers to help with the pain...and i don't take pain killers...hahaha. Meaning I usually handle everything without it. Not this time...haha. It was definitely a tendon type of pain though. Not muscularly. I currently have a problem with a tendon in my wrist. i can't do straight bar curls at all.

I have a 6 years old girl, and i know it too you have to be carefull with little people. They pull w/o warning when you're not ready and it could be disastrous to elbow joins. jerky motion is bad for side pressure or any exercise movement any way. Since side pressure is something that take a lot of time to adapt. I think side pressure sets AWers apart from the rest of the world, along with pronation and supination power.