Strengthening the thumb

Faheem Chauhan

Hello,

I`d like some advice on strengthening the thumbs, i read a very good article in the lastest IronGrip and it mentions a few different exercises and gives the Pinch Grip as the best. As well as thumb Press ups and thumb Deadlift.

The thumb press ups are a little out of my reach, thoughi`m working on the thumb deadlift with Eagle Loops as well as the pinch.

As i`ve had a good deal of luck in finger strength and finger lifting in the past, i feel that the thumbs are lacking so in your opinions what are some of the best exercises for the thumbs?

Thanks, Faheem

Faheem,

Any pulling exercise with a thick bar of two or more inches will work the thumb as well as the rest of the fingers and hand.  But, I also do pinch gripping using the blocks and hub from Ironmind.

Pinching is great for the thumbs. Have built mine up alot. Another exercise i think has done good is pushups on the fingertips. Use as few of your fingers as you can until you can do it just on your thumbs.

I would recommend getting the Big Squeeze dumbbells amd the Missing Link 2 from Sorinex (www.sorinex.com).  These babies will work your thumbs like nothing else.  Heath and Pat can vouch for what the Big Squeeze dumbbells feel like.  Try them, you'll like them.  Steve Weiner

Wear a helmet when exceeding 80lbs overhead with the Big Squeezers (inside joke).  Very effective thumb builders.

Thanks for all the suggestions, as the Pinch Grip is already a staple in my training i did them as well as try thumb deadlifts, using the Eagle Loops, i worked upto a 100kg lift with both thumbs and thy felt worked. Hopefully this will transalate well over to the Pinch Grip.

I`ll be trying the thumb press ups soon as well. I`m gonna try and rig something up myself in place of the Big Squeeze DB`s and the fat bar work.  

Thanks, Faheem

• 1 month later...

Faheem,

I am fairly ney to the quest for grip; however, I have had great results with block weights (exercizes like block toss, farmers, and clean and presses).  York dumbells are the best just like Brookfield suggests.  I first tried a hex dumbell it was good but there is no comparison to the York solid cast dumbell.  

Thick dumbells are great too.  I bought a Turk from PDA and I love it.

-HH

Block weights!

You can't beat 'em.  1. they last forever 2. there are tons of movements to do with them  

3.  every movement requires the thumb 4.  they are fun to work with which leads to #5  

5.  if it's fun then it's easy to stay motivated 6. increased motivation leads to increased gains!

-HH