Training In The Weeks Before A Contest

Florian Kellersmann

I would like to hear your opinions and experiences what works best for you? When do you stop armwrestling (table) training before a contest? When do you stop weight training before a contest? What a the best methods? How can you secure to have an "on day" at the competition?

I think it varies from person to person. I do the same routine for all types of competitions. For a Saturday contest - I do a regular heavy workout the Friday before (week before), then on Tuesday I do a very light routine just to get some blood flowing - and I mean very light. Then the contest. I know I'd rather rest one day too long than one day too little. There's a lot of factors to consider that could influence your method of choice.

I'm pretty new to the sport and I've only been to 2 tournaments, but here are my experiences. My first tournament I took an entire week off before the tournament to completely rest. Actually I think it may have been 2 weeks but for sure 1 week. I was nervous that it was my first tournament, plus weak, and got crushed in the novice section. My second tournament I wasn't planning on going to until about 2 days before. I actually lifted on wednesday and the tourney was on that saturday. I actually did better at this tournament, winning my first match haha.

• 2 months later...

I agree with climber511. I notice 2 day or so after an exercise if I'm sore, then by using a very light dumbbell (say it's bicep sore) I just do concentration curl quickly (no slo curl here) for at least 20 reps and many sets. It make the elbow pumped with blood and the arm do feel better the next day. And because it's so light I never have tendon fatigue here. IMO, blood is a healing agent bringing nutrients to the tissues for repair. Bob Brow is a real pro. here so his advice should be taken at heart.

if contests are in Saturday this last training I do on Monday