Stretching Fingers

antonsevilla

Hey guys, do you stretch your fingers? I usually stretch them by holding 4 fingers (except the thumb) and bending them back, stretching my forearm and wrist along with it. Sometimes I stretch the pinky, ring, middle together, and the index and thumb together. I've always done this, but now that I've injured my middle knuckle I find that bending it back can really irritate it. Is this form of stretching not compatible with gripping?

Do you guys do any sort of stretching after grip work?

I wouldn't think stretching would be bad at all for gripping, though I might not do it right after/before grip work

I find a good stretch is to put your hands together in a sort of praying position, and then rotate them clockwise as far as you can and then holding that stretch. You can really feel it on the wrists.

I stretch my fingers, wrists, and forearms everyday, and sometimes during workouts when attempting maxes. I like to think that it helps me, but I generally lay off too much stretching when it irritates an injury. I would just stretch it enough to keep it limber, but let it heal ie a gentle stretch. That is what works for me.

Thanks for the replies guys. BTW after doing a LOT of side levers, that prayer-twist stretch pete talks about really stretches something. And I notice one of the pronator/supinator muscles an inch above the wrist actually grows. Cool, maybe someday I won't have the skinniest wrists ever.