Millimeters Or Inches

dimmers

Being a UK gripboard member, all of the steel that i have found (can get my hands on) is measured in millimeters (mm), which is kind of annoying because the 6mm drawn steel i've been using for the past month doesn't exactly measure up to 1/4" diameter.

Everything seems to be in inches when discussing different stock and PB's, so i'm not really too sure how well i'm getting on compared to all you other guys out there!

Still waiting for my batch of stock ordered from John to arrive, so i can get a good feel of how i'm doing at the mo, but just wondered if anyone could share their views on this (UK members in particular?)

just for a bit of background, i've been using the 6mm drawn steel (round) and 6mm drawn square steel cut to various lengths over the past few months, with my best tonight being the 6mm square, cut to 5 inches.

cheers for reading! hope my first post isn't something that's been discussed before cos i've been reading through loads of stuff on here for the past few weeks before putting a post up, as i know its annoying when people put up a post that's been answered a million times before! :blink

thanks

I'm not sure how the steel is over there in the UK, but here in Germany you can buy nails in 6,0mm ; 7,0mm ; 7,6mm thicknesses (and 8mm if you manage to find it). The 7,6mm steel is still considerable easier than the bastard nail at the same length (which measures around 8mm), but is close to it.

I'm not sure how the steel you use compares to these nails though. It could be much harder or easier, too.

When I was in new zealand i had the same problem, everything was in mm's and I didnt know how well i was going either compared to the us and euro guys, asking ppl for graded bolts was also an issue as the way that they were classified in NZ was different. The biggest nails I could get were 6mm gauge and they bent quite easily, even though theres only .34 of a mm difference between 6mm and 1/4, I still found it considerable at first when I first laid my hands on a 60D nail. From what I noticed, and this is just generally speaking, if the bolt doesnt have a grading and its sold at a common store it will be a rough grade 2ish bolt, and generally speaking the round head bolt will be easier than the hex headed bolt of the same gauge and length, thats what ive found anyway, and its true in new zealand and in australia in my expereince. I would assume that a big steel merchant in the UK should be able to hunt down anything you want, sizing and length, im sure the UK guys would have some great advice for you coming!

WHen people talk about 0.315 etc etc I have no idea what they're talking about. Guess only a caliper could tell

There are 25.4mm in an inch (or as near as makes no difference), so with a calculator it is very easy to compare inches and mm.

WHen people talk about 0.315 etc etc I have no idea what they're talking about. Guess only a caliper could tell

that would be a little more than 5/16 (.3125). For an easy conversion of that number to mm .315in x 25.4mm = 8.001mm

Just get yourself a pair of digital calipers from Mitutoyo or another manufacturer. They have a button that switches the readout from MM to SAE, really helpful when you work on the stuff I do.

When I was in new zealand i had the same problem, everything was in mm's and I didnt know how well i was going either compared to the us and euro guys, asking ppl for graded bolts was also an issue as the way that they were classified in NZ was different. The biggest nails I could get were 6mm gauge and they bent quite easily, even though theres only .34 of a mm difference between 6mm and 1/4, I still found it considerable at first when I first laid my hands on a 60D nail. From what I noticed, and this is just generally speaking, if the bolt doesnt have a grading and its sold at a common store it will be a rough grade 2ish bolt, and generally speaking the round head bolt will be easier than the hex headed bolt of the same gauge and length, thats what ive found anyway, and its true in new zealand and in australia in my expereince. I would assume that a big steel merchant in the UK should be able to hunt down anything you want, sizing and length, im sure the UK guys would have some great advice for you coming!

i thought this would be the case, even though 6mm is very close to quarter of an inch, you're right it is still a little off which obviously makes a difference in the difficulty of the bend (from what you say about the 60D nail). Nevermind, it's still good stuff to start on i suppose (the 6mm).

Also, keep in mind that a 60d nail is actually a guage 2 size and is slightly bigger than 1/4 inch. At least it's always appeared that way to me that if you hold a 60d nail next to 1/4 CRS the nail is slightly larger.

I've seen pics in the gallery too of bent nails in millimeter sizes and they make a different looking bend. Obviously a different type of steel I'd say.

Tim

Also, keep in mind that a 60d nail is actually a guage 2 size and is slightly bigger than 1/4 inch. At least it's always appeared that way to me that if you hold a 60d nail next to 1/4 CRS the nail is slightly larger.

I've seen pics in the gallery too of bent nails in millimeter sizes and they make a different looking bend. Obviously a different type of steel I'd say.

Tim

Good point. Are 60Ds invariably crs?

I just recently read a post by Gazza, saying that he can get his steel ordered in 1/2mm to 1mm increases in width, which makes sense to me when trying to move up a level (say 1/4" to 5/16").

Just wondered if anyone knew of a decent UK steel stockist that i could order from? (Gazza? - although i know in your post you were discussing stainless steel, just wondered if the same applied to other types of steel you ordered i.e. 1/2mm to 1mm increases? or just the stainless you order?)

thanks!

I can get CRS[cold rolled steel} in those increments as well.

Were in the UK are you.

Gazza,

I live in Hampshire, south east England.

Do you put together packs for people? I think it would be good to get some CRS at 6 and 6.5mm (being fairly new to bending, few months now) any thoughts?

thanks.