Giant Hammers?

judoboy

i use a 7lb and 10lb sledgehammer in my training, but i am looking to get a giant steel hammer, probly 35lb.

does anyone own or use giant hammers?

i use a 7lb and 10lb sledgehammer in my training, but i am looking to get a giant steel hammer, probly 35lb.

I know Maidenfan had a couple of big ones, cause I played with them when I met up with him in portland. I havent seen him on the board much lately. he had a 35# and a 100# hammer. The 100# one was a beast. practically had to clean and jerk it up to swing it.

- Aaron

The heaviest you will get in the UK is 16lb, ive tried all over to get heavier but cannot find any.Kettlebells.co.uk sell War Hammers as mentioned before but they are very expensive , they are also much shorter than a regular sledge hammer , they range form 10lb upto 100lb costing £300 for the 100lber!

Im sure Stan Pike at www.intensefitness.co.uk would cast tou a steel hammer if you rang and asked, then you have one to the exact specs you want

Mark

i have some that I use. my heaviest is 28lbs and its brutal for my weak self. The best thing to do is head down to the local scrap yard pick up a chunk of solid round in about the weight you want. it will cost ya about 30-35 cent a lb. pick up a steel handle in the size you want and have some one weld it up for ya. Should be less then 75.00 complete with the welding at a premium.

an even cheaper way would be cut down a tree about 12-15 inch dia. cut small logs about the weight you want pick up a wood handle at the local hardware store. bore a hole through the log insert handle (make sure its tight). great cheap hammers. The wonderful thing about the tree idea is you should be about to make a set of different weight. my gallery has some pics of the ones I made.

thanks guys, war hammers do look cool, but they are too expensive for me. some friends have made a limited stock of steel hammers and i can buy one for very reasonable money.

my choices are 22lb, 35lb and 50lb. i was thinking about a 35lb, but i will use it mainly as a brutal cardio tool, so 22lb may be more than enough for a skinny fool like myself. any thoughts?

i like the idea from madss about using a section of tree as the head. i think a welded steel head is more robust and less likely to fly off.

If they're freinds, it would be cool if you could trade them around every few months. 35 seems about right to me, not too heavy not too light.

You could always get an adjustable plate loaded hammer from FBBC, that way you can experience the feel of 30, 40 60 etc with a simple switcheroo of a few plates ....

If they're freinds, it would be cool if you could trade them around every few months. 35 seems about right to me, not too heavy not too light.

friends yes, local no, so trading wont be that simple. thanks for your feedback, i think i gunna go for a 35.

I went through a phase of buying several different hammer including a plate-loaded one, but now I just add some Olympic weight plates over the handle & duct-tape them to the underside of the hammerhead.

For what exactly do you want to use a giant ~30 lb hammer? Is it for hitting a rubber tire or something cardio like that? imho adding weights to the head is not a bad way to go, since leverage distance isn't a huge concern, and it's pretty stationary (stuff won't go flying everywhere).

i went for a 22lb jobby after having a play with the 35lb, i felt it was too heavy to maximise cardio. i dont think i'll be levering this somehow :)

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/117260422...3_620_28707.jpg

i will use my 22lb for whacking a big tyre (previously used a 10lb for this), and use a 7lb for levering, tossing and fooling around.