I think i'm becoming obsessed with gripping!?

Gripster

Yesterday while taking the bus to work, the bus was packed with people, so I had to stand and hold on to the bars. Instead of griping the bars regularly, I stood with 1 hand on the high bar and pinched it for stability. It was really working my pinch well because the bus was in motion (of coarse) and with the unknown sudden stops; I had to pinch hard at all times. I pinched with my right hand for half the way to work, then used my left for the rest of the way.

Then, while at work, I was sitting in my cubical, bored as usual, I leaned back in my chair and pinched the side of my cubical and pulled my self up right in my chair, using my pinch strength to support my body wieght, I just held that position as long as possible.

These are good lil' exercises that I can do everyday, with out my equipment.  :)

You can also grab a door. Stand at the end of a door & grab it with a pinch grip with one hand & lean away from it. When that gets too easy, fall away from the door & catch yourself by pinching the door with one hand.  :) There was another thread where Snott pinched all the packages he got in the mail for a cheap workout.

I found a perfect way to stop the pain, I stopped lifting wieghts.   And, I use foam handles on my Grippers.  :D

I dont have much time to lift or even the energy lately, honestly. I was thinking of rethinking the way i train...

I was thinking of doing more calisthetics exercises and use Elastic cables for resistance, like the way Matt Furey does it (If you ever heard of him). Also, Ive been reading John Brookfield's "Mastery of Hand Strength" and I think the only wieghts that I will be useingare Block Wieghts for pressing and tossing.

Sales hasnt been going well, lately, and I can't reallyafford commerial gym costs.

For a cheap and entertaining (different) workout, do like I have been for a while..  Go out in the woods, round up a few (I have 7 different now) ROCKS of varying weights.  I have a small one I toss around for a warm up, a pincher for pinching/farmerwalking (20lbs) a bigger one that I pick up explosively and throw up over my head down the trail backwards (44lbs), a biggerone yet that I kind of shot put down the trail focusing on abdominal twisting and pressing explosively away from me (67lbs), then a bigger one (97lbs) that I pick up and explosively press/throw forward down the trail, and also pressoverhead and just walk down the trail and back with it overhead, making sure to at the middle of the trail lower it to my chest and pressit back up again (the second half of that walk is a bitch!) and I have a biggest one (144lbs, 5lbs shy of my bodyweight) that I just try to walk around with.. : ) and recently (a milestone for me!) got this big guy to my left shoulder!!  These stones also work the grip of course (especially in the rain) and its great to get dirty and raw out in the woods screaming like an animal!!!!  Cheap and a #### of a workout if you do it the HIT way.  HARD.   I also climb a 1.5" thick 25 foot rope I hung up between two trees, and climb my homemade rope/2" pvc ladder which is hung about 45 degrees past vertical, so Im climbing up and back If you can picture it..   its all great fun..

later,

almost crushing my #2 (1/4" away)..

~Steve M

I'm working at the Library of Congress this summer, so consequently I'm always moving books around.  Whenever I get the chance, I pinch as many books as I can fit my fingers around and carry them that way.  You have to apply the pressure through your fingertips or else you'll drop the books.  I also try to pinch them and hold them at odd angles to get a little wrist exercise sometimes, too.  This works pretty well with really large, long books.  Another thing I do is see how many books I can balance and carry at one time, then try to carry them using only my finger tips.

I don't think it makes a huge difference in my hand strength, but it's fun. :)