Grade 2 1/4 Hex Bolts

michael7

I've bent alot of grade 2 1/4 hex bolts in the last month, I just noticed that the HKTs are WAY easier than the BLs. Anybody know where there is a list of the different strengths?

I've bent alot of grade 2 1/4 hex bolts in the last month, I just noticed that the HKTs are WAY easier than the BLs. Anybody know where there is a list of the different strengths?

At the top of the main bending page, there is a pinned thread titled Fat Bastard Calibrations and some Others. This has quite a few calibrations done by Eric Milfield. There are a couple bolts on there, but people say that there is a pretty wide variance in Grade 2 bolts, even bolts with the same lettering. Grade 5's are much more consistent from what I hear. I will let you know when I bend one!! :blush

Good job on the bolts. Now buy some 60d nails, the common ones not the timber ties, and see if you can get those. You should not be far from it. If you can't then concentrate on volume with the bolts. This is only the beginning of a life of bending.

Mike

Wow, that's just the opposite with my experience. Used to be some old posts where people talked about the HKT bolts being much harder and that's the case with the ones I have. Batches vary alot though.

Tim

Grade 2 bolts vary heaps in strength - not only between brands but also between batches of the same brand.

You're probably better off comparing their strength to say 1/4" Round FBBC, IM Blue, or a 6" IM Yellow.

Dave

At the top of the main bending page, there is a pinned thread titled Fat Bastard Calibrations and some Others. This has quite a few calibrations done by Eric Milfield. There are a couple bolts on there, but people say that there is a pretty wide variance in Grade 2 bolts, even bolts with the same lettering. Grade 5's are much more consistent from what I hear. I will let you know when I bend one!! :blush

Thanks, I'll check it out. :mosher

Good job on the bolts. Now buy some 60d nails, the common ones not the timber ties, and see if you can get those. You should not be far from it. If you can't then concentrate on volume with the bolts. This is only the beginning of a life of bending.

Mike

Thanks for the tip. I actually already have lots of different 60d nails and the timber ties. I have bent about 4 of the timber ties, but I can only kink the 60d commons about 8 degrees or so. I used some pipe ends to cheat bend several 60d nails to about 20 degrees and I can finish them, so now I'm trying to work my way backwards until I can just do one. When I can do one, I'll post a video. Thanks for the advice!

Mike

Wow, that's just the opposite with my experience. Used to be some old posts where people talked about the HKT bolts being much harder and that's the case with the ones I have. Batches vary alot though.

Tim

That IS strange, I got most of the bolts here in Fargo ND, but I also got several from different cities in MN and WI. Oh well, its way cheaper to get the 60ds, so by the time I can bend them I'm sure that I find a batch of HKTs that are tougher than the BLs that I have. Thanks for letting me know.

Mike

Grade 2 bolts vary heaps in strength - not only between brands but also between batches of the same brand.

You're probably better off comparing their strength to say 1/4" Round FBBC, IM Blue, or a 6" IM Yellow.

Dave

Thanks for the info, I'm working on 1/4 HRS...I don't have the $ for the IM set yet. Sooner or later though.

Mike

You don't even need to save for the IM set. Just buy some 1/4 crs from anywhere. I have IM nails, FBBC nails, and misc. 5' bars from online metal shops and they all are about the same strength at 1/4 size. Now 5/16 varies a bit, but don't worry about that for now.

If you order things online, try http://www.allmetalsinc.com . I've bought a lot from them and they seem pretty cheap and consistent for the most part in strength.

You don't even need to save for the IM set. Just buy some 1/4 crs from anywhere. I have IM nails, FBBC nails, and misc. 5' bars from online metal shops and they all are about the same strength at 1/4 size. Now 5/16 varies a bit, but don't worry about that for now.

If you order things online, try http://www.allmetalsinc.com . I've bought a lot from them and they seem pretty cheap and consistent for the most part in strength.

That's great! It didn't take me long to figure out that $20 could get me 100's of nails, but much less steel. When I can bend the 60d commons I'll focus more on the crs. For now I have plenty of nails.

Mike

Yeah that's what I meant. It sounded like you wanted to save money for an IM set to bridge the gap. Bend 1/4 crs from 7" to 6" or less and you should be able to knock down the box of 60ds. I had two small volume workouts with my 30lb box along with other misc bends, and I'm only about an inch into my box. This thing will last forever :whacked