Hammer man!

Bill Piche

Guest baldy

Wow. That would probably fall under that category in the other thread about a lift "getting scary". Not scary for Slim, but for anyone watching that has a clue about the strain involved. 70 years old... Wow.

Thanks to John and Bill for the great videos. Keep them coming!

Guest baldy

:) Hehehe, you are right Ray. I stand corrected, 70 years young.

BTW stranger, are you still bending everything that isn't nailed down?

I'm actually after some Arnold Classic pictures of Mark Henry and the Apollon Axle lifts but will check out Slims work very soon...

Tom, or any other leverage lifter, can you please put Slims lift in perspective for me.

What is considered strong for this lift?

I know Slim is the man in this lift and I don't doubt his power. I just have nothing to compare it too.

Thanks

Hmm, maybe the best way to put it in perspective is go to the hardware store and try a 6-pound hammer.  Keep in mind that in order to really understand the feeling of torque on the hand the handle must be at a severe angle to the perpendicular, Slim’s are basically 90-degrees.  Some beginners drop their hand as the weight comes down so that their hand is at their waist and the hammerhead is at their head, at this angle (maybe 20-degrees down at best) there is little torque on the hand.   Slim’s arms are so long the hammerhead comes down to his head, in order for most people to get the handle to parallel the handle would be above their head.

BTW, 16-pounds is generally sited as an excellent lift here.  In a recent Milo there was a write-up of a great arm-wrestler and one of the feats attributed to him was a 16-pound hammer leverage.

VERY impressive lift.

I have struggled with technique, since I started levering. When doing front to the nose, my hand have to drop to get the sledge to touch my nose. They also drop (though not to the waist :) ) on the side lift (the lift in the video). I'm going to try raising my arms, as Slim does, to see if it helps.

I only wish I were able to tape Slim's entire performance, and since I was saving tape for the end (for Mark), I didn't tape too much of Slim.  He put on a unique and impressive show!!

• 2 weeks later...

apdwler,

The reason you have to drop your hand to have the sledgehammer touch your nose is because your arm is not long enough!  Slim has really long arms, and his hands are a bit up on the handle of the hammer so when he brings them down they come to his nose.  When I started to really emphasis bringing the hammer handle down to parallel is when I realized this.  Now when I bring the handle to parallel I actually bring the top of the handle about 5" from the head down to my nose.  It is just a difficult to bring the handle down to your nose as opposed to the head, it's just a matter of shorter arms compared to longer arms.

Yes, where is the second video?

By the way, ever since the Dinner I’ve been practicing the “reverse Weaver” style start and swing up with the hammers.  My coordination with my left is miserable, but I can do 8-pounds no problem with my right.  The limitation now is actually the catch at the top of the swing, I did 10-pounds once and it was scary-the hammer actually left my hand and was about 5-inches from my hand for a second!

Guest IrNLifter

Well yeh, after watching Slim's awsome style I tried it too!( the reverse lever and swing to forward) It went pretty well. I'm just new getting to the 10's so i only have one at the moment....It didn't leave my hand and swung around very smooth. mt pair of eights were easy, felt very natural.But I have martial arts experience working with the long and short staff and moves like that have been ground into my reflexes.