First Bending Experience

judoboy

i bought some 3/16" round crs this morning and some thin leather this morning :)

i carefully cut, filed and wrapped 5x7" lengths and warmed up with 12k bell and 7lb sledge.

the first 2 i just experimented abit with grip and hand positions, double-over felt the natural way for me. 3 and 4 were quickly dispatched d/o style. my confidence was now soaring and i decided to give the last one some beans. i totally unloaded into it and mashed it in 1 clean movement.

i celebrated with a couple of singles with coc1. next time will try a few at 6.75" and 6.5"

re: wrapping, i found that i had to re-wrap each time. i have seen experienced benders adjusting and re-positioning the padding. could this be because i wrapped too tight? i figured tight is right.

Hey judoboy congrats on beginnig the Addiction as we call it because you will be strung out on the steel from now on.

As far as wrapping the steel the tighter the better which of course prevents slipping that can casue injury to the wrist or worse you pop yourself in the face when it twists. It sounds like the 3/16" stock is pretty easy for you but practice to get your technique and form down before you move on to the tougher stuff. I say that because it sounds like you have plenty of strength to conquer some bigger stuff but many new benders including myself jump to fast in the beginning chaseing the next higher steel PR without having their form completely worked out and they end up with a preventable injury. Also if you haven't yet then wrap up a piece of steel tight and put a rubberband around the each wrap then slide it out after you bent that piece of steel slide it out and load another, this usually is good for 3 or more bends before needing to re-wrap.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Your Fellow Bending Berserker,

GATOR

cool a newbie like me, i bent my first real nail yesterday. (did a 9" 5/16 bolt about 1 yr ago aswell)

i think, as has been said, i started at too high a level. i bought a packet of 6" 6mm zinc coated nails from b&Q and they were very difficult. after some struggling i did mangae to bend 2 down to less than 2 " i did one yesterday and one this morning. I am going to have a rest for a couple of days let my mashed forearms recover but maybe 6mm thickness at 7" length would be good for me to practice on

i don't have proper pads yet. i have some nice leather i will cut tonight and see where i get with them, im using a pair of rolled up gloves with eleastic bands at the moment

gator,

cheers matey, i will experiment with wrapping, re-using is a definate advantage. i will post progress :)

liam,

i guess you have read the stuff on here and eric's site. if you cant get any 3/16" stock to 'learn' with, do plenty levering to strengthen your wrists. i started with a spade and worked up to a 7lb sledgey. take care my friend, spooning a ligament is not fun.

Good to have you here Judoboy. If you want to be the best, read what the best have to say about the subject and watch their videos. There are many great benders here. If you're focusing more on the short stock that is around the 5" and under mark, watch any Magnificent bend you can find. And of course any Insane Bastard bend you can find as well. I would also recommend watching GatorGrip's 4.5" Grade 8 video for marvelous explosion and form on the short stock. It's one of my favorites.

For longer stock that is around the 7" mark, watch Gazza on his 3/8" Stainless. And he isn't the only one who focuses on the long stuff, just the strongest right now. Eric Milfeld's 3/8"X7" CRS is another very good video. Shows some clear hand positioning tips to utilize.

There is so much to choose from in the Bending World. You've got Double Overhand, Double Underhand, Reverse Style...and a few more styles to choose from. There is more motivation and information here than most people will ever have the time to sort through. But you should make that your eventual goal anyway. To sort through every single bending-related topic and video here on the board. It will only make you a better bender.

Experiment with high volume, low volume, everything in between. High frequency, low frequency, the options are almost endless.

cheers ben, i seen most of eric's and gazza's stuff - very cool. will check out gator 4.5" g8.

cheers ben, i seen most of eric's and gazza's stuff - very cool. will check out gator 4.5" g8.

that is a cool bend from gator - very explosive.

re: my efforts, i have uploaded a piccy to my gallery :)

just made some proper leather pads and am now smashing the 6" 6mm nails.

you doing kb work judo? What sort of routine do you follow

I have a plate loading one and i have dabbled with levering sledges too

yeah man, bells are really good tools. i have a blog on londonkettlebells if your interested. they are top kb guys, i did one of their masterclass courses which was very good.

yeah man, bells are really good tools. i have a blog on londonkettlebells if your interested. they are top kb guys, i did one of their masterclass courses which was very good.

Ill check out your blog,

with respect to bending though i had 2 PR's this morning. I cut my 6mm nails first down to 5.5" then to 5" and got them both. the 5" was quite a bit tougher though. I'm gonna have a break now till sat or sunday as the skin on my hands is sore and with all the excitment i have done loads of bending in the last few days

• 2 weeks later...

i bent 2x 6.5"x3/16" crs after a good kettlebell/gripper session. i was suprised how much harder they felt than 7", plus i was pretty gassed anyway. i had planned to bend 4 as a finisher, but managed only 2 (big blouse).

more to come, i have been watching some vids of gazza, gator plus others to help get form right.

Hey guys, just noticed your thread and thought i'd add a few words (being fairly new to all of this too - addicted now though!).

I too have been mainly using the 6mm 150mm nails from B&Q (about a month or so now) and although tough at first became easy over the weeks. Especially when i bought a leather welders apron to cut some wraps from (cheap off ebay), this made a huge difference compared to an old pair of trousers i'd cut some wraps from.

Liamcafs, i recommend trying some carriage bolts from homebase, the M8 150mm are a good progress from those nails you're doing. Even though they look quite thick they're fairly soft steel (but a lot harder than the nails!). I found a decent website that sells all this stuff in bulk at a really cheap price http://www.tool-net.co.uk/ check it out!

Have you checked out www.fatbastardbarbellco.com yet? i'm waiting for some stock i ordered to get a feel for how well i'm progressing.

good to see some new guys in the uk on the grip board!

i bought about 20ft of 3/16" crs round for £10. my bolt cutters were £5 from a cheapo pound shop and thin leather was £5 for 1m x 1.5m from a craft shop. i already had a file for dulling the edges.

the guy in the steel stockists thought i was mad when i explained what i wanted it for, so he'll hopefully do me a good deal when i need some 1/4".