An Injury

V1sual B1nary

Everytime i arm wrestle now as soon as i apply pressure i get a sharp pain in the elbow area and the pressure in my arm just drops and i get flattened now by every half decent arm wrestler. I barely arm wrestle anyway and i have let it rest for weeks but as soon as i come back it hits me again.

Soon after than started happening my hand started playing up when gripping but i think i have managed to get to the bottom of that one but this elbow thing is wierd. As soon as the arm wrestle is over its fine, it doesnt hurt or anything but its just as soon as i get in an arm wrestle.

Any ideas?

You have probably tourn your ligament that holds together the 2 bones at the end of you elbow. Everyone does this eventually.

The problem is, it takes many months to heal about 6-7.

Then once healed you must apply small amount of side pressure to build it up.

It probably does not hurt at all when doing a arm curl but as soon as you go side ways it hurts. Its like a needle pain down were your funny bone is.

I would push sideways on a wall just enough to feel the pain. (This wont be very hard at all). Then back off a little and stay there for a few seconds. Do it every day as your elbow heals. It will still take many months to heal.

Good luck.

Edited by bob brown

You have probably tourn your ligament that holds together the 2 bones at the end of you elbow. Everyone does this eventually.

It probably does not hurt at all when doing a arm curl but as soon as you go side ways it hurts. Its like a needle pain down were your funny bone is.

I would push sideways on a wall just enough to feel the pain. (This wont be very hard at all). Then back off a little and stay there for a few seconds. Do it every day as your elbow heals. It will still take many months to heal.

Good luck.

why does everyone do it eventually?

Because this ligament is the weak link in the chain and takes a very long time to strengthen. This ligament is stressed when you push sideways. All newcomers can push alot harder sideways with muscle than this ligament can usually handle.

Bob - do you notice that the pain is worse when pushing with the ring finger?...do what you suggest but really push against the ring finger while it is completely extended. I did something to my elbow in October of last year and it still bothers me. Sounds exactly like what you are describing and yes, the more I work side pressure (in moderation) the better it gets. When I first injured it a could barely grip anything with the hand on that side. Now the grip is 100% with pinch grip and about 90% for supporting and crushing grip. I still feel it if I push hard with my ring finger. Funny thing is I didn't hurt it armwrestling - but after giving it a couple months off it has improved by using armwrestling exercises with a cable machine.

Good luck.

why does everyone do it eventually?