Funny Story

dansweeney

I went to the Industrial supply store to pick up the .281 drill rod that I ordered. Acorn says its a good Grade 5 stepping stone. I ask the guy behind the counter "If I bend this, will it bend or snap"? He says how far are you going to bend it? I said a 7" piece, bent in a U shape leaving about 2" between the ends. A lady steps over and says are you bending it in a vice? I said no, with my hands. She was like, yeah right! So they call this other guy and put him on speaker phone to ask the Rockwell hardness and whether or not it will break. He says no, why? The guy responds, get this, a guy over here says hes going to bend it with his hands! The guy then asks the diameter, and the other guy says 9/32". The guy said thats not that thick, a 36" rod could be bent like that. Then the guy says no, hes cutting it down to 7". I hear the guy on the phone laughing and saying I wish I was there, cause I bet that guy is a Monster! The guy on my end says, no actually he's kind of a little guy. (Im 5'6" and 175). Then the guy says tell him to come back and show me, because I have never seen anyone do crazy Sh** like that!

So therein lies the challenge...... :whistel

Its always good to help educate the steel suppliers and hardwaremen. An educated workforce is a happy workforce!

Next time you'll bend it right in front of them!

Ah yes the ol demonstrations in the hardware stores. Yep those are fun when someone says "let me see this guy" and then when they see you don't look like Lou Ferrigno they say no way.

BTW, I've got 9/32 drill rod and I just now bent a 7 inch piece but I've bent G5 bolts for months now. Maybe it's just the 7 inch length was harder for me but don't be suprised if it's harder than a G5 to you too. As a matter of fact I'd say, at least to my hands that it's really really close to a G8 if not equal. Even the sweep and the crush was really tough to me and Ben Edwards said if felt close to the old red nails.

Not trying to disagree with anyone because that's just my experience but like I said just don't be discouraged if it's a little harder than you're bargaining for.

Good luck!

Tim

I don't know how that drill rod will work out. I order like 3, 4' sections a while back from McMaster and one length was much harder than the other two. Plus since you're bending DU the 7" length might make it easier for you than the G5s.

I went to the Industrial supply store to pick up the .281 drill rod that I ordered. Acorn says its a good Grade 5 stepping stone. I ask the guy behind the counter "If I bend this, will it bend or snap"? He says how far are you going to bend it? I said a 7" piece, bent in a U shape leaving about 2" between the ends. A lady steps over and says are you bending it in a vice? I said no, with my hands. She was like, yeah right! So they call this other guy and put him on speaker phone to ask the Rockwell hardness and whether or not it will break. He says no, why? The guy responds, get this, a guy over here says hes going to bend it with his hands! The guy then asks the diameter, and the other guy says 9/32". The guy said thats not that thick, a 36" rod could be bent like that. Then the guy says no, hes cutting it down to 7". I hear the guy on the phone laughing and saying I wish I was there, cause I bet that guy is a Monster! The guy on my end says, no actually he's kind of a little guy. (Im 5'6" and 175). Then the guy says tell him to come back and show me, because I have never seen anyone do crazy Sh** like that!

So therein lies the challenge...... :whistel

so glad i'm not the only one who gets this sort of 'service', the only difference is i'm 5'10" and 242lb. This time i went in prepared, i took one of my bent nails and asked for some bigger than 5.6mm x 150mm nails, the guy looked at me like 'why the hell do you want bigger nails'??? When i told him i slide the bent nail over the counter and he stopped dead in his tracks.... Needless to say they didn't have any bigger nails so i got some 6" x 1/4" G5 bolts, can't bend these yet...

My local hardware store owner asked to keep the prybar that I bent to put on display and let people try to straighten it out - which really isn't fair since tempered steel goes back to it's original shape much easier than it bends the first time. Anyway it wasn't altered much when I got it back and it was pretty neat that they wanted it.

He really wants a crescent wrench so the next one I bend will be his.

Tim

Hey Tim, I think you are right. I bent today even though I am getting over a bout of some type of sickness. I only got the 9/32 to about 10 degrees. I hoped that was tougher than the Grade 5 so I wrapped one of those, and only got it to about 5 degrees. That is however the first time I have ever kinked a Grade 5 at all, and I have to believe I was a little blown out from the Drill rod. I still wanted to get a PR, so I cut a 1/4 Hex to 7" and ended up bending that. I also bent 6 "Shiny" Bencrush 60D's.

Hey Tim, I think you are right. I bent today even though I am getting over a bout of some type of sickness. I only got the 9/32 to about 10 degrees. I hoped that was tougher than the Grade 5 so I wrapped one of those, and only got it to about 5 degrees. That is however the first time I have ever kinked a Grade 5 at all, and I have to believe I was a little blown out from the Drill rod. I still wanted to get a PR, so I cut a 1/4 Hex to 7" and ended up bending that. I also bent 6 "Shiny" Bencrush 60D's.

Keep after it bro onwards and upwards.

Nice job Dan, make no mistake the drill rod is tough stuff. before long you will be melting it though. Just keep working on that one you got to 10deg and it will strengthen you big time.

- Aaron