Yes! Another New 7 Inch Pr

Tim71

Okay this bend doesn't exactly rank in Gazza's stratosphere but I'm happy with it. I've tried this steel several times before and always get hung around about 20 degrees or maybe 15 something like that. Tonight I cruised right on through it. BTW, I decided to try it after watching Gary's 3/8 stainless video. Kinda pumped me up.

The steel that I've finally got one up on is the 9/32 oil-hardened drill rod. Drill rod never gets any easier as you bend it and to me the heating up doesn't seem to help it at all. Eric calibrated it at 355 lbs so I'm getting ever closer to the big stuff but still not there yet. Can't immagine the guys who've bent the 11/32 version of this steel.

I'll post a pic maybe tomorrow.

Tim

Tim

Congrats bro onward and upward.

Yep its good stuff like the stainless but harder on the kinkfor the same thickness.

Its already been heated to get to that stage thats why its not affected by heat like normal HRS or some CRS.

GREAT new PR Tim!!! I knew you'd get that one soon. That is some hard steel and feels really close to the old Red Nail to me. You're knocking on the Red's door now...I think it will let you in soon.

Fantastic, Tim! Tear it up!

You are a Drill (rod) Sergeant- Ha Ha :D You commanded that steel to bend to your will- and it did!

Right on!

Good stuff Tim. Drill rod is Fun. The 11/32 stuff is stout, but no worse than some of the other stuff we are bending lately.

- Aaron

Thanks guys! Gazza, I'm glad to know it's harder on the kink than the stainless.

Makey, Oil-hardened drill rod is 1085 steel. The 85 is the carbon rating, most good CRS is 1018 which is low carbon, 1045 for example would be medium carbon so the 1085 is pretty high carbon. Then it's been hardened in oil or some is hardened in water which is a little cheaper. Also, it's very very precise and dare it say pretty for steel. It also defies the ol' saying of the harder the steel the sharper the bend. It's a very broad oval type bend.

But it's hardest characteristic is right when you think you are going to get it to 2 inches it absolutely gets crazy on the crush. Almost like you expect it to break and it happens all at once. And like I said and Gary explained better, it doesn't get any easier as it heats up. Gary's done 11/32 as has a few others and I can't immagine it. I kept a piece of the 11/32 for a souvenier and it's got to be crazy to bend.

Oh yeah, I got mine from fastenal which is not cheap at all. They're very proud of their merchandise.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks guys! Gazza, I'm glad to know it's harder on the kink than the stainless.

Makey, Oil-hardened drill rod is 1085 steel. The 85 is the carbon rating, most good CRS is 1018 which is low carbon, 1045 for example would be medium carbon so the 1085 is pretty high carbon. Then it's been hardened in oil or some is hardened in water which is a little cheaper. Also, it's very very precise and dare it say pretty for steel. It also defies the ol' saying of the harder the steel the sharper the bend. It's a very broad oval type bend.

Tim

Have you found any difference between the oil and water hardened drillrod at the same diameter also can you find out for me how much carbon is added roughly to each grade i like reading up on this sort of stuff :D Also whats the next size up they do from 3/8" thanks.

But it's hardest characteristic is right when you think you are going to get it to 2 inches it absolutely gets crazy on the crush. Almost like you expect it to break and it happens all at once. And like I said and Gary explained better, it doesn't get any easier as it heats up. Gary's done 11/32 as has a few others and I can't immagine it. I kept a piece of the 11/32 for a souvenier and it's got to be crazy to bend.

Oh yeah, I got mine from fastenal which is not cheap at all. They're very proud of their merchandise.

Tim

Gazza,

The place I get mine from I think the next step up that's fairly easy to get would be the 13/32. Some places online, like the link above, has crazy small increments available.

I know the water hardened is a little cheaper but I've had no experience with it and I can't even find any info about what the yield strength would be. The only way to tell I guess would be to get some and have Eric "interrogate" it. The store where I get mine only has the oil-hardened on the shelves and all drill rod I've seen referenced to, both water and oil, has been 1085 steel which would be considered quite high carbon. I'm told it's also called O-1 tool steel. If I can find out more I'll definately let you know. The 11/32 that you destroyed I had to special order from them. I personally think that's a much better bend than the numbers tell. I mean would you say that the 11/32 felt easier than a shiny? It cal'd at 30 lbs lighter than a shiny but everyone who's tried it tells a different story. As a matter of fact most say that it felt harder than a 5/16 G5 bolt.

Makes my 9/32 bent kinda wimper by comparison.

Later,

Tim

Great job!