Pulling Someone With Longer Arms

isaac

To put it simply, what are some strategies to use when you are going up against someone whose arms are much longer than yours?

Anything to avoid?

I think my blunder was not trying to get the upperhand immediately, as I find it extremely hard to get OVER the other person's hand--it feels like I'm almost having to push UP to get over them. My elbows also want to lift up.

(I searched for this, but didn't find a lot.)

Edited by isaac

hook, once in a hook the shorter arm will have the leverage advantage. If you must toproll. Then get your knuckles up before the go.

Would you say a person with the shorter arm could win without a hook a lot of the time if he is stronger?

And what areas he would need to be strong at in order to do this successfully against a bigger person?

The guy with the short arm can toproll but he needs very strong hammer curl ability both in the arm and the Wrist/hand.

I would do alot of hammer wrist curls. I don't know if you knowthem but, Watch Dave Patton or Travis Bagent.

Remember, the longer arm has to drop his arm alittle just to grab the shorter arm. So if the shorter arm has stronger hammer wrist. He will have the leverage advantage.

The guy with the short arm can toproll but he needs very strong hammer curl ability both in the arm and the Wrist/hand.

I would do alot of hammer wrist curls. I don't know if you knowthem but, Watch Dave Patton or Travis Bagent.

Remember, the longer arm has to drop his arm alittle just to grab the shorter arm. So if the shorter arm has stronger hammer wrist. He will have the leverage advantage.

Hammer wrist curls.....I may know what your talking about.....

Can you direct me to any videos or any pictures that I could use to figure out how to perform the lift/technique.....

I guess I am on the right road with hammer curl training.....as I love to top roll.....and want to eventually compete in a light heavy to heavyweight class but am only about 5' 11".

Thanks for all the advice you can give me bob!!!

The guy only beat me left... I wasn't taking him very seriously--he doesn't work out, but does have huge hands and strong wrists.

I'm principally a powerlifter, so my upper arms are definitely a lot stronger. With my right hand I top rolled him and as soon I got his arm much past parallel he crumped.

I'll start doing hammer wrist curls. But if I can I'll try the hook in the future.

Thanks.

http://www.eiyc.com/wrist.htm

Look at these pictures.

I like to use a sledge hammer. Grab it about 4 inces from the head as if you were grabbing a regular hammer. With your arm down at you side pull the head of the hammer up with just your wrist. As if you were actually hammering a nail in.

Your wrist will tend to go backwards. Dont let it. Keep your wrist straight.

As this gets easier, just keep moving your hand farther down the handle of the sledge hammer.

Edited by bob brown

http://www.eiyc.com/wrist.htm

Look at these pictures.

I like to use a sledge hammer. Grab it about 4 inces from the head as if you were grabbing a regular hammer. With your arm down at you side pull the head of the hammer up with just your wrist. As if you were actually hammering a nail in.

Your wrist will tend to go backwards. Dont let it. Keep your wrist straight.

As this gets easier, just keep moving your hand farther down the handle of the sledge hammer.

Ahhhh lol we just got different names for the same thing I see.......

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

instead of dumbell curls, use a water jug. the big ones. fill it say maybe half way. start with three reps(even if it is easy) next day do four etc until you get to ten reps. then add a cup of water, start from three again go up until you get to ten. add cup of water etc. try this until you can strictly curl the big water jug. i think it is like 18litres. it is very heavy, handles are pretty thick also. that will give youi an edge over someone using dumbell hammer curls. very good for levering and armwrestling. i been doing it for awhile now. i am getting very strong.