Warming up for grip work

Guest Neal Bates

Guest Neal Bates

I'd like to hear your thoughts on warming up for grip training. I do most of my grip work after my regular lifting and I just assumed my hands were properly warmed up for it. Yes? No? Well anyway, now I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to wonder if not warming my hands up before breaking out the CoC or whatever else I'm doing may be holding back my progress. I'd appreciate any input you guys have. Thanks.

Neal

Neal,

I like to think of it this way:  if I was going to squat big weights, would I just load 600 on the bar and start squatting??  Or, would I work up to it slowly, including stretching, with some high rep sets with light weights, down to singles as the weigh got heavier?

I view grip the same way.  Training pre grip work gets the blood flowing and certainly warms you up-but it is a general warmup.  You need warmup sepcific to grip movements pre hard grip training.  Riding a bike would warm your legs up-but how many powerlifters take their 10-speed to the gym and ride it for 5 minutes before making a big attempt?

My basic warmup scheme:

I like to close the #1 for 5 reps each hand, then stop and stretch each finger and massage Icy Hot or Bengay into my wrists and knuckles.  

I will then close the #1 again for 5 times each hand, rest, stretch

close the #1 for 5 times each hand, rest stretch,

close it inverted 5 times each hand, rest, stretch

Now the #2.  This is a take off of Brooks Kubik-as the weights get heavier, reduce.  he believes you only need singles with any weight, regardless, to warm up.  

Anyway, with the #2 i will do only 1 close with each hand, rest, stretch

PDA 387-now it is dependant on what I am doing for the day.  If I am making an attmept at the #3, I wont do anything with the PDA 387-I will bypass it on my grip wall.  If I am training, I will close the PDA 387 1 time each hand, rest, stretch-THEN BEGIN WORKOUT!

THis is my baisc warmup and it has been productive so far.  You may benefit from singles down the line.  Give it a try and see!

Rick Walker :hehe

Guest Neal Bates

Rick,

Thanks for responding! I'll definitely give grip specific warm ups a try. I think what I'll do is experiment with diferent stuff for warmups starting with something like you posted and see what works best for me.

Neal

Neal,

I do a slight warm-up.... not much.  I think a warm-up is important for grip workouts.  BTW, where do you live?  Hey, it's not far from me.  Drop me a PM, and maybe we can get together on a weekend and swap grip training stories....  :)

I heard from somewhere that if you put your hands under hot water (not too HOT!) for a few minutes, it will "warm-up" your hands. Then do some reps on an easy gripper ... And of coarse I like to stretch my fingers and wrists between sets. Then, I break out my bad boy #1 gripper and go hard. Hahaha!!! Funny / pathetic, you make the call!  :D

I don't waste any time with warmups. I do some singles/low reps with my store gripper, then trainer, then #1, then #2, resting in between all those, then get into the workout. It's the same sort of way with any other lift, for me anyway, I do some progressively heavier singles/doubles until my joints don't feel tight & then get into the working weight. Longer warmups don't do anything for me but tire me out.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I do 2 sets of 5 with my #2 then go to the #3 or to the #4 if I am doing negatives. I was doing warm-ups with the #1 but I was told in a letter from Joe Kinney not to waste my time with the #1,( His words ). My hands hurts a bit on the first set with the #2 ,but it is fine on the second.

I've found that after a grappling w/o or kettlebell w/o (snatches,cleans and windmills) I can close grippers much better  than if I just warm-up w/ grippers. I've got my SOSII down to 1/4 in. and my COC 3 to about 9/16, hoping to close the SOS by end of summer.

Guest JoeQ1966

I do my warmups for grip work like I would do for any other exercise..I start with my ivanko supergripper and do the easy setting for about 10 reps to get the blood flowing and then do one more on the next easiest for about 10 reps and then do some stretching..I like to make sure I have some good bloodflow even before I stretch so as not to cause any injury.

I then increase the resistance as I get closer to my workout gripper..I usually only do 1 or 2 reps on the way to my single or double with the hardest gripper I can handle..I want to make sure im warm but I dont want to waste strength on lighter settings.       good luck

Joe

My grip work follows my regular workout- even then

warm-up steps are needed to get my hands ready.

So I perform very light sets on the way to my world

class poundages [please edit the second half of that

sentence as you choose].

When I was younger I scoffed at warming up. Now it

is a necessity to avoid injury.

I am currently nursing a sore knuckle because I failed to properly warm up prior to a full-out strap hold effort. I must agree with Roark, it seems much more important than it used to.

Mike M.