Ahhh those grippers!

Bill Piche

I just purchased an Elite from WW.

It's 65mm across compared to my Silver Elite which is 82mm.  Heath has closed my Silver Elite by the way. About a year ago.  The best I have gotten my Silver Elite is about 3/8 from close both hands.

I never really liked the closer handles on some grippers.  I have been working the Gripanator hard at the close for months now.  I can hold closed about the equivalent pressure of 495in-lbs.  Maybe a little more.

Second time I tried the Elite today.  This time I tried to EXPLODE it shut. WOOOMP.  What the ####!?  The sweep was like nothing.  Left hand. WOOOMP.  What the ####!?  I just missed it by a paper width right and closed it left (off hand, but my strongest).  I then tried my Silver Elite. Arrrgh. Hard to set. Sweep is nasty.  Got it down to just over 1/2" both hands.  I think the new Elite I got plays right into my strength/personal groove.

Comparing the grippers the spring thickness seems the same. Handle widths BIG time different and another difference. The distance from the TOP of the handles to the bottom of the spring is about 1/8" higher on the Silver Elite.

Bottom line: My guess is Heath (sorry Heath, but you are used to compare because you closed my Silver Elite) could do about 8-10 reps (or more) with a current WW Elite if all of them are coming out like mine.  

We need to be careful (again) when comparing performances.  That includes grippers of ALL types!  

I wonder what a Super Elite is REALLY like these days.   My guess would be it's more like my Silver Elite.

Congrats on closing the new Elite.  Terminator also closed his Silver BBE for 2 singles and his new BBE last night.  Congrats to both of you.

Great job Terminator!

As for me, Peeeshaaaa!  I don't think closing the Elite I have is worth much.  Now, my Silver Elite...that's a different story. :)

Wannagrip said:

I can hold closed about the equivalent pressure of 495in-lbs.

When you do this do you start with the negative assist arm up and squeeze the last 1/4"?  Also, what is the actual pin weight, PDA never made a table of equivalent weights.  I'm just curious because I can do 95-pounds pin weight for the last 1/4", and this is after I do the grippers first.  I think if I did it fresh I could do at least 100-pounds on the pin.  Using the Atlas table that would probably be 4.4*100=440.  With all these gripper differences, this may be the only way to judge how I'm doing comparatively.

I think it's still about 4.3 to one ratio.

I do holds with the BTR handle.  I use my shoulder to force it to the close position and hold.  I am using 115-117lbs right now.

The elite I had (gave it away some time ago) was tougher than my #4.

Yes.

The purpose of my post was to make people aware again of gripper differences out there.  Now, Pat's close of his Silver Elite is BIG!

A GOOD thing I believe to do is exchange grippers between friends. It gives you some real comparisions and also can give you baselines to work to.  Such as my Silver Elite and Heath closing it.

The guy who is close to a 3 at the office just missed the Elite by 1/8.  I crushed it left handed even being smoked from yesterdays workout.  This thing isn't seasoned yet.  I told him to EXPLODE it and due to the short deflection distance for the close he nearly closed it.  Oh yeah, he tried after two #3 attempts.

Gripper TOTAL deflection IS a big deal.  The less you have to squeeze it, the more you should be able to do.  I don't care about finishing pressure, if you get your butt smoked doing the sweep you won't have the strength left to finish it. It's just common sense. I don't know why this just finally hit home with me.  I guess it did because of this "Elite".  

Heath would be able to kill 10 reps on it. At least! No question now.

So, what's the Super Elite equivalent to these days?  A hard 3?

Again, beware of those gripper differences! :)

This is basically what Jim Wylie tried to point out last week about the #4s and the discussion turned ugly. It is certainly true that the 4s vary a lot too. It is also true that, to many of us, it doesn't matter because they all feel impossibly hard.

Tom Black, as far as I'm concerned, you hit the target with your comment about the Gripanator.

Mike M.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Nathan Holle's Super Elite was 5 mm wider than your Elite Bill (70 vs 65). This additional 5 mm and the thicker spring on a Super Elite would make a BIG difference all other variables being equal.

Handle mounting is even more of a key. However, the spring is thicker than a 3 spring, no doubt on my Elite.  

My Elite I just got is a wussy gripper in my view (it's a matter of perspective). Until I close my Silver Elite, I won't be personally happy.  My guess is I would be closer on a Super Elite than on my Silver Elite.  There's one way to find out and that is to buy one.  However, at this point, I am sure it won't help me close my 80-82mm Silver Elite that has handles high up.

Also, my posts were not to diminish any other closes.  Now, if I had posted this the next day after I posted the pics of Nathan, then yes, I can see where it would come across the same way as Jim's post.  So, that's why I am adding this paragraph via the edit. :)

Well, my 3 will likely provide more challenge than I need for awhile. I did, however, notice WW now advertises a World Class Gripper, that it estimates takes 425 lbs to close!!

Well, my 3 will likely provide more challenge than I need for awhile. I did, however, notice WW now advertises a World Class Gripper, that it estimates takes 425 lbs to close!!

A couple of us own one. I posted pics as well. It's a BEAST!  :0

I think that the fact that grippers vary so much is good for those in the business of selling them . Many will buy more grippers hoping to find one that is a little harder or easier to aid them in their progress.

I think that the fact that grippers vary so much is good for those in the business of selling them . Many will buy more grippers hoping to find one that is a little harder or easier to aid them in their progress.

Yup.

;)

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Wana,

How long did it take for your order to come from w.w. ? I ordered an elite about a week and a half ago and am still looking for it.  By the way , do you feel the gripinator was a good investment ? Have you tried the g-rex ? If so, how do you compare the two. Nice close on the elite. How I will be ther with you soon.