2" Dumbell

DuTCH

Since we all know what is the super achievement is on lifting on a 2 3/8" handle, that is the MDB, what is it on a 2" dumbell shaft? just curious.

Or is half on what you do with a Axe double overhand :tongue

I've exceeded 300lbs on a 2.5-inch handle and close to 190lbs on a 3-inch.

Big claims there, Steve. I guess you lifted with a very big tilt. Anyway, I would like to see a video or any other proof!

Edited by Florian Kellersmann

Those aren't claims they are lifts and I've posted proof before - plus there are no official records and I need to prove nothing of the sort.

However, I did well over 80-kilos in an Iron Grip competition (in 2002 - check the cyberpump gallery for photos of the dumbbell) using a thumbless grip on a 3.5-inch thick handle - that's a matter of record. Arne competed with us then that year and had used all his 4 attempts but missed a 5th with about 90-kilos. I have also put up photos of myself using well in excess of 100-kilos or more using my own plated loaded pin and 2.5-inch handle when training for the Millennium dumbbell. My best was 300.1lbs right handed and well over 200lbs left. At a seminar held at Pullums sports some years ago I did 100-kilos and attempted 120-kilos+ in front of 21 witnesses. The Millennium dumbbell weighs in excess of 100-kilos (103 to be exact) and there are a ton of pictures. When challenged by some of the more facile board members (much like I have done with others so...) over their 'rules' for tilting (in spite of IAWA, USAWA and old BAWLA rules all alowing a tilt) I put up a picture of my lifting well over 80-kilos dead level on a 2.5-inch handle see here:

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/130/picture069gc4.jpg

The image is a little dark but the plates are 5-kilo plates and it's a 2.5-inch handle on an 8lbs pin

Here is the one from the competition in 2002. I think the bigger plates are 15's and the smaller ones 10-kilos. That means well in excess of 80-kilos.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2865/th...35dlift2hw5.jpg

On another occasion I turned up too late to compete in a thick handled dumbell challenge event held in Oxford (as mentioned at the time in my log) and beat the winner by 20-kilos (he did 60, I did 80 and tried 90 after taking my coat off). He got the cup and I go the finger (having been one of the sponsors as well... I was bitter as you can imagine).

On a 2-inch thick BARBELL I did a one hand deadlift of 105-kilos to win that event at another Iron Grip event. There's a picture of that in the gallery.

So I've done 300.1lbs right and well over 200 left. Now let me see some pictures of you doing more Florian :flame :p

In spite of the replies, thanks guys, no one has answered my question! :D

(but i think i can figured it out myself anyway :tongue)

I put up a picture of my lifting well over 80-kilos dead level on a 2.5-inch handle see here:

Steve, thanks for posting some pics. But these are probably about 85kg and there is a big difference between 85kg and 300 pounds, a difference from about 50kg!

Also I don't understand why you only lifted 105kg on a 2 inch barbell (of course, this is a good lift), but your best on a 2 1/2 inch dumbbell is 300 pounds? Normally you should lift more on a thinner bar. Or is this the tilt that make such a big difference? Just wondering.

It's easy to ask but I'm still waiting on photos of yours... The various lifts were done over quite a time scale. I think the 3.5 inch thick handled d/bell is 2002, I lifted the Millennium after, the Inch in 2001, the Oxford event was in 2003 or 2004 and so on. I don't train consistently on thick handled dumbells and, as an example, the 80-kilos level was done in response to a query. I had trained 1 hour before to well over 120 and posted info in my log. Oldguy asked if I could do something level and so I went back up and the most weight I could get on the handle was 8 5-kilos plates per side. I used small plates so as to make it harder.

The 105-kilo barbell lift - it's obvious what the problem is - balance. Both ends need to come up above the knee and in the photo I have of that it's perfectly level.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8273/un...devent08ze5.jpg

Now I have seen no posts of yours and have no recollection of what thick handled dumbbell etc lifts you've done so will answer no more from you until I see at least 80-kilos or more done level using a 2-inch handle. I do this as it really pisses me off no end that those who ask about tilting have no lifts to show how good they are. Many times I have been questioned as to the validity of whatever style I have used by people who've never competed never mind beaten me. If my tilting means I end up with a massive level lift beating everyone else then it's ok. The rules for one hand dealifting are quite clear and ALL of my lifts with my top weight heavy thick handled barbells or dumbbells - as claimed here - have been enough to pass the rules.

Just for myself. When you talk about tilting do you mean allowing the handle to leave the horizontal? And if that is what you mean, would you be bracing the weight against your wrist on the high side? For myself, I have a 2.25 inch dumbbell handle that i just started working with. I haven't tried to max out on it but I have locked out 140 pounds with both hands. Oddly enough I find it easier with my left hand. I also find myself using a hybrid grip. i tilt my hand quite a bit to take the stress off my thumb.

Brent

Funny... when I opened that picture and started reading the filename, which begins with "untitled", I actually read "untilted"... :tongue

Funny... when I opened that picture and started reading the filename, which begins with "untitled", I actually read "untilted"... :tongue

That's very funny, indeed! :D

Just for myself. When you talk about tilting do you mean allowing the handle to leave the horizontal? And if that is what you mean, would you be bracing the weight against your wrist on the high side? For myself, I have a 2.25 inch dumbbell handle that i just started working with. I haven't tried to max out on it but I have locked out 140 pounds with both hands. Oddly enough I find it easier with my left hand. I also find myself using a hybrid grip. i tilt my hand quite a bit to take the stress off my thumb.

Brent

Simply - yes. Depending on the event rules the handle or bar can be tilted and in some cases, as mentioned, the plates can brace against the forearm. Purists argue against this but never show a good weight lifted. As I mentioned before the IAWA, USAWA and old BAWLA regs are quite clear on what is allowed, never mind event rules, and so purists arguing on the internet do not know what they are talking about. That I can also put up photos of decent level lifted dumbbells and barbells (and for the most part under competition rulesand conditions) gives some weight, IMO, to my views.

not if i beat you to it ;)

What's your handsize btw matt?

Edited by DuTCH

not if i beat you to it ;)

What's your handsize btw matt?

Just north of 8.5". You? BTW I have never pulled on a 2" DB, just talking trash, but I am looking to get my hands on one...

Ultimately i think it is to the lifter to decide if he wants to make the lift harder or not.

I think we have a good example with the bending forum: those that want to make it harder use reverse style and have their own online comp, and the others go for DO which seemingly give the best results.

Dutch: what's your best lift so far on that apparatus? (2" DB)

I made one out of a piece of pvc. Very easy, all you need to do is tape it a bit to get 'collars' and that's it.

my hands are 7 3/4", maybe slightly larger.

Haven't really got to it yet mr. Parisian ;)

I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Theo: it should be a good number considering your latest Axle deadlift video ;)

I left Paris and the parisians (lol) for the pacific coast in hope that the bad weather affected my grip!

I have lifted 120kg to the knees on a 2 3/8 dumbell. Tilt was used. Never tried 2'' bar.

Edited by CoC#3

did the MOB wake up grumpy?

I feel the guy just wanted to see you do it so as to learn from one who has achieved so much.

I however respect your strength and watching videos of such lifting fires me up, keep on getting stronger.

Those aren't claims they are lifts and I've posted proof before - plus there are no official records and I need to prove nothing of the sort.

However, I did well over 80-kilos in an Iron Grip competition (in 2002 - check the cyberpump gallery for photos of the dumbbell) using a thumbless grip on a 3.5-inch thick handle - that's a matter of record. Arne competed with us then that year and had used all his 4 attempts but missed a 5th with about 90-kilos. I have also put up photos of myself using well in excess of 100-kilos or more using my own plated loaded pin and 2.5-inch handle when training for the Millennium dumbbell. My best was 300.1lbs right handed and well over 200lbs left. At a seminar held at Pullums sports some years ago I did 100-kilos and attempted 120-kilos+ in front of 21 witnesses. The Millennium dumbbell weighs in excess of 100-kilos (103 to be exact) and there are a ton of pictures. When challenged by some of the more facile board members (much like I have done with others so...) over their 'rules' for tilting (in spite of IAWA, USAWA and old BAWLA rules all alowing a tilt) I put up a picture of my lifting well over 80-kilos dead level on a 2.5-inch handle see here:

The image is a little dark but the plates are 5-kilo plates and it's a 2.5-inch handle on an 8lbs pin

Here is the one from the competition in 2002. I think the bigger plates are 15's and the smaller ones 10-kilos. That means well in excess of 80-kilos.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2865/th...35dlift2hw5.jpg

On another occasion I turned up too late to compete in a thick handled dumbell challenge event held in Oxford (as mentioned at the time in my log) and beat the winner by 20-kilos (he did 60, I did 80 and tried 90 after taking my coat off). He got the cup and I go the finger (having been one of the sponsors as well... I was bitter as you can imagine).

On a 2-inch thick BARBELL I did a one hand deadlift of 105-kilos to win that event at another Iron Grip event. There's a picture of that in the gallery.

So I've done 300.1lbs right and well over 200 left. Now let me see some pictures of you doing more Florian :flame :p

Florian and I have met, he has been a board member long enough to have seen my posts, seen many videos and enjoyed a good long look at the gallery.

I may go back to the lift at some point but doing so right now takes yet more work away from all the other stuff I'm doing.

(don't) Do it, you need (not) to be distracted from the task at hand on the 24th and in may. :whistel

(optional)

:D

Anyone remember the pexter bell? It was a solid globe DB that weighed 300lbs and had a 2'' handle. I know there were a few people that lifted it

(don't) Do it, you need (not) to be distracted from the task at hand on the 24th and in may. :whistel

(optional)

:D

I feel a strange urge... (not ha ha).