How long to close grippers....

Guest juggernaut216

Depends on how strong you are when you start. Ken Brown closed the #3 on his 1st try & Manfred Hoeberl almost did the same. I had been doing some grip training before I got my grippers & I closed the T & #1 & got the handles past parallel w/the #2 on my 1st try. A lot depends on how much you've done before. Also, two guys who start at the same level would surely take a different length of time to get to the next level, given that they have different genetics & probably different routines. One guy might progress slowly (but he'll get there eventually) because he just isn't made for hand strength & another will thrive on it. Tou & Rick Walker were about 3/16" from cloing the #3 (I think), which could have taken them months to have finished off, but did it in 6 weeks instead on their routine. Going from one gripper to one higher depends on a lots of things.

When I first got my #1, I could do about 15 reps on it. Did 5 reps with #2 out of the bag. It looks huge but many guys can do it and way better. My untrained friend smashed grippers up to the BBM with ease without any training.

The #3 is another thing. Got about 1" on my first attempt. Trained the classic twice a week on strap holds for a long time and got it down to 1/8. I was stuck at 1/8 for months and strap holds with #2 were doing nothing good as I was using over 30 pounds. #3 was still too tough and stuck at 1/8.

I was recruited to do KTA and I closed #3 in week 6 or 7 of the program. Got 2 weeks where I couldn't close it. I closed it today and did it yesterday too.

Overall, I got my #3 in april 2001 and closed it in july 2002. Some guys took more time and some guys took lot less.

Set yourself a realistic goal and work like a madman to reach it.

I was the direct opposite of Tou.  It took me two years of constant training to close the #3.  I wasn't in any real hurry to do it, I just took my time and trained hard.

Guest Christian

I am a wuss who weighs like 150lbs.

It took a week to close my Trainer.

I finally started working on my #1 again a few weeks ago. It went from parallel when I got it, to 1" to 1/2, 1/4. Since I started training it every other day I got it from 1/4 to 1/8! I am very close now. So, if you want a realistic idea of how long it takes a weak guy to go from a #1 to a #2, I will let you know when I do it :D

Guest JoeQ1966

I got my coc 2 and 3 and it took me a little over a week to close the 2..I am trying a every other day routine right now to be able to close the 3.I am somewhere around a 3/4 to half inch on the 3 right now..I am going to a daily routine to try and get the three..I will try and keep accurate training records.I will post anything that seems to help and how I am progressing..

good luck in your training

Joe

I got my Trainer about two years ago, and could close it for 15 reps right handed, and 10 reps left handed.  Six months later, I recived my #1.  Right out of the bag I was able to do 10 reps with both hands.  Six months later I received my #2, but could only close it to about 3/4".  I wasn't able to close it until eight (8!) months later.  It wasn't until a full year later that I was able to routinely close it without a warmup of any kind, and with either hand.

Now I can close the Trainer for 50 reps (right hand), #1 for 35 reps (right hand), and the #2 for 10 reps (right hand).  STILL about 3/4" away from closure on the #3, on a GOOD day! That last 3/4" may take me a decade, but the joy is in the journey, regardless of how long it takes. ;)

I got my COC #1-#3 about 2 years ago.  I could close the #1 about 5 times right out of the bag and was a half inch from closing the #2.  I played with them for a month (closing the #1 for reps of 5 while I sat at my computer and surfed the net) then they hung on a nail in my garage untouched until Jan. 2002.

I got into it seriously in Jan.2002 and closed the #2 in about 2 weeks.  It then took me until about April? or May? to close my PDA 387.

Towards the end of June I made a hard go at my #3 and clicked the handles.  Now, I am probably another month or so from being able to close it well enough and often enough to get certified, but atleast I have closed it, ahead of my August goal.

By my 28th birthday, the #4 will go down as well.

Rick Walker :hehe