Made A Table Today

dunkster

Been busy with my day off and made a class arm wrestling table for less than £20! Followed all the world federation specs, just need to make the legs as it is just table top at the mo. Noticed a few things I would do differently next time and a couple of bits I want to alter on this one regarding fixing but other than that well chuffed. And it's upholstered in nice fake leather. I fluked the handles when getting my timber from B&Q by finding some small table legs just the right size. ;)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h195/dunkster-13/DSC00373.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h195/dun...13/DSC00371.jpg

Nice work!

Looks Great - I love it when people take the time to build their own training equipment. It shows you really want it and in most cases plan on using it well.

For the pads I went to a local foam merchant and got two 7x7x4 and two 12x4x2 pieces of 6lb reformed foam cut for the pads at £4.06 for it all, then went to Dunelm (a fabric retailer) and got 1meter of the vinyl faux leather off of a 54" roll for £5.99 and stuck the foam to small pieces of hard board, cut the vinyl to size, and using spray adhesive stuck it to the foam and used thumb tacks on the bottom to keep it in place. Never tried upholstery before but I guess all that watching Pimp My Ride has paid off :tongue And just covered the table bit the same way just didn't cover it in foam as I thought that was an expense I didn't need.

Edited by dunkster

For the pads I went to a local foam merchant and got two 7x7x4 and two 12x4x2 pieces of 6lb reformed foam cut for the pads at £4.06 for it all, then went to Dunelm (a fabric retailer) and got 1meter of the vinyl faux leather off of a 54" roll for £5.99 and stuck the foam to small pieces of hard board, cut the vinyl to size, and using spray adhesive stuck it to the foam and used thumb tacks on the bottom to keep it in place. Never tried upholstery before but I guess all that watching Pimp My Ride has paid off :tongue And just covered the table bit the same way just didn't cover it in foam as I thought that was an expense I didn't need.

Nice table. Quick question, what did you fasten the handles down with, cause they are going to take some beating obvously. The only reason I ask is cause im looking to make one soon too..the way I was gona do it is place some strong thick timber below the table top area where the handles are, adhesive it to it and then drill a hole bige enough for the handles to go through from the bottom and screw it in from underneith...know what i mean? Then the thick timber braces the handles as well...best thing would be to weld but i aint got that option...nice upholstery too!

The handles I used were short table legs, that ony cost £1.13 each, so they have a plate welded to them so I just put four nuts and bolts through the base. They seem pretty strong, but I was gonna do it the way you mentioned and if these aren't strong enough that is the way I'll probably do it too.