Overhead Sledgehammer Lever Question

Guest indi

when i 1st started overhead levers it was fine, but as i worked down the hammer slowly, the handles really dig into the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and index finger. is this normal for everyone else? thanks for replies, and any tips or ideas on how to solve this.

I don't find overhead levers too bad, but have had that feeling when doing rear levers. I find it helps to grip the shaft tightly with your fingers, as this takes some of the stress off that area.

I couldn't take the pain. I had one of these made up, it solved the problem for me:

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/C511LoadSword.jpg

The hilt at the bottom disperses the pressure over the top of the thumb instead of on that nerve. The padding makes it completely pain free.

I think how much it hurts is largely dependent on the shape of your hammer handle.

I couldn't take the pain. I had one of these made up, it solved the problem for me:

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/C511LoadSword.jpg

The hilt at the bottom disperses the pressure over the top of the thumb instead of on that nerve. The padding makes it completely pain free.

I think how much it hurts is largely dependent on the shape of your hammer handle.

got levers?

You are right, it hurts pretty bad. I have found that if I squeeze the 2nd knuckle of my thumb and the 3rd knuckle of my index finger together before I start to lever the hammer it really helps. But it does go away after you do it for a while. Also the shape of the handle does make a difference. I have a hammer length lever bar I made out of pipe which doesn't hurt as bad but a real hammer handle is oblong which tends to dig into your hand more. Just keep after it.

Mike