Ranked Bending Lists Announcement

EricMilfeld

Because ranking bends of various lengths is proving to be an exercise in splitting hairs and second guessing, I've decided to discontinue The Nailman's Top 50 Bending List. If anyone provides proof of a worthy bend performed in 2006 I can still adust that list accordingly. We have the 2005 and the 2006 list to keep for bending posterity.

But I will be compiling two very elite lists in its place. We will have a list of the top 20 5" bends, as well as a list of the top 20 7" bends. I may start a list of 6" bends at some point in the future, but as of now I'm undecided. My reasoning is that the difference in technique between bending 7" stock and 5" stock is undeniable, whereas the difference between 7" and 6" is much less significant. I think these lists will prove more meaningful, especially in light of the fact that I'll be placing an emphasis on accurate calibration figures whenever possible. At first these lists will be far from meaningful in terms of ranking the best benders at the two lengths. This is due to the fact that for many of us, our better official bends were all performed at a particular length of steel, which may not even fall into one of the two categories of length. My hope is that these lists will provide inspiration for the world's best bender's to go after official bends at these specific lengths with steel of a verifiable strength level.

Keep in mind that nails and bolts of a nominal length designation of 5" or 7" will be allowed, in addition to stock cut to precise lengths of 5" and 7".

For these two new lists I'll be allowing 5 minutes for a bend. Let's see some really tough, gut bustin' steel melted! Pretty much all the other rules associated with the original list will apply.

Well Eric I really appreciate all the time and efforts you put into making the Nailman's Top 50 list such a positive motivation tool for us that are addicted to the steel. I will miss this list and I am glad I had what it took to take a place on it but I am sure the two new lists will give us an even more positive challenge. I will strive to take my place among the elite benders in our Kingdom of Steel.

Well, I hate to give my opinion since this isn't a top 500 list and therefore doesn't apply to me. However, I will say that comparing bends of the same length does make sense since I've never understood how you figured out which is the harder between all the various steels.

I will say though I'd like to see a 6 inch list too since that's sorta the standard set years ago with the 60d bends. I'm probably biased though since I like the 6 inch length so take it for what it's worth.

I think the 7 inch list will prove very interesting. I've wondered for a while if the 5/16 by 7" grade 8 will be done. Plus with all the various 7 inch pieces of steel you've calibrated tells us there's many more increments out there.

Since it's just going to be a top 20 maybe we could add some more certs in that section. Just an thought.

Great idea!

Tim

Assuming guys can be on both lists, that's going to make it a lot harder to get a ranked spot as bender. Now you've probably got to be in the top 25 overall to get on either list. I do understand not wanting different length bends on the same list, due to the difficulty of comparing them.

Eric-

You can do what I have always done in contests- Harder steel=higher ranked bend. If everyone plays by that rule, it will be easiest to see who is the best. You are right, comparing difficulties is tough if you go between different stocks and lengths.

Eric-

You can do what I have always done in contests- Harder steel=higher ranked bend. If everyone plays by that rule, it will be easiest to see who is the best. You are right, comparing difficulties is tough if you go between different stocks and lengths.

This is basically what the 7" list is. I do want a 5" list for those who excel at the short steel to have a place to strut their stuff.

Awesome idea Eric! Glad you're putting it all together and keeping track of it too. I often ask myself which I'd rather have if I had to choose: Insane Bastard or a King of All Bastards. Hard to choose. Most would agree that the KOAB would be harder, but the Insane is just that. Insane. The length alone will stymie all but a few who try it. I just hope to stay on both these lists. As new talents rise up some of the old guard may be unceremoniously "body surfed" out of the list. Just makes us work harder.

Are both of these lists going to be the 2 minute time limit? Or are you taking contest and/or 5 minute FBBC certified bends into account also?

Yeah, I'd like to echo Gator's sentiment and thank you Eric for all the time you've spent putting together these lists. Having something to shoot for has always motivated me to make those big prs.