New Tougher Red Calibrated

EricMilfeld

At 460 pounds, the new improved Red is a contender!

As a reference point, the last time I calibrated a Bastard it required 440 pounds, while the Hexabastard used up 485 pounds of iron. A Red from one of Iron Mind's more sissified batches tipped the scales at a scant 400 pounds.

Wow! Now I'm even further from my first red bend.

Great job as always!

Tim

Good News Ben, We're Not Crazy!!! :whacked

Wow! Now I'm even further from my first red bend.

Great job as always!

Tim

You're not alone.. I that fact

Edited by Mats Erik

I KNEW IT! lol, just as many others did. Thanks for the calibration Eric, youre a huge asset! 60lb difference between old and new reds..damn, i dislike the variation but on the same hand the certs will definately become more elite.

thanks again eric!

At 460 pounds, the new improved Red is a contender!

As a reference point, the last time I calibrated a Bastard it required 440 pounds, while the Hexabastard used up 485 pounds of iron. A Red from one of Iron Mind's more sissified batches tipped the scales at a scant 400 pounds.

Thanks for calibrating that Eric. That can't be easy loading all that weight just for one piece of steel. But it definitely satisified a few of us. A month or so after my Mag bend at the BBB2 I cut one of those new Reds to 5.5" and barely got it. I guess that explains why after all.

Was this intended by Ironmind?

Was this intended by Ironmind?

Who knows besides Strossen himself. I didn't see any notice of it on the Ironmind site. Of course it might be just a simple case of getting a different steel supplier. But it does seem a bit fishy that it's getting that much harder when the #3s...

I thought they were way tougher then FBBC.I have only done one on a magical bending day that everything I touched went down.I have only been able to kink one slightly lately.It is frustrating to say the least because you have done one and can't repeat.UGGGGGHHHH.

I bought a batch of Reds in probably November - they are definately the harder ones - I doubt Randy has any plot going on here - it's hard to buy matching bars from the same batch, let alone, from batch to batch. CRR comes in 12' lengths, so more or less, an order of 20 Reds for me and 20 for you would likely be from different lengths of steel. Remember that FBBC Bastards used to be harder than the old Reds - and I don't think John had any plot either - this is just something we will always have to deal with unless you calibrate each length you buy and sort them by strength. Oh yeah, Eric has already said he plans to do just that for his bending contest.

Hooray! As these new reds (I bought 50 in september as well) are the only thing I have bent with IM pads, I'm glad they calibrated higher. I thought I just had more wussie hands than those who had certed before me.

- Aaron

regardless, everyone should have to cert on relativly the same difficulty bar. or start a "new reds cert" category

I would imagine that over the years, they have gone up and down more than once - we just weren't calibrating then.

There is a few things garunteed in life one of them is everybody dies, another one is when you are getting steel in bulk these days they throw everything they have together melt it down and thats what you get. They don't check every chunk of Crr that comes of the line. Just a set few every so often and even those vary some before they worry as long as its within certian variances so you'll never get a piece the same unless you hand pic and calibrate every chunk which can be done but I won't be me :tongue .

regardless, everyone should have to cert on relativly the same difficulty bar. or start a "new reds cert" category

I would imagine that over the years, they have gone up and down more than once - we just weren't calibrating then.

This is a good point. I, personally, have come across three distinct strength levels with the Red Nails. They go something like 400, 430, and 460, though I didn't actually calibrate that middle level one. Keep in mind that it's likely the FBBC bars have also varied. The first one I ever bent sure felt like harder stock than that which I used to cert on a Grand Bastard.

A conspiracy, though, is a highly unlikely scenario here.