#2 Troubles

Tfriend

Having some problems closing my #2, after a parallal set i can do about 20-30 reps with the #1 with about a 1-1/2 spread between reps, but i cant even come close to parall setting and closing the #2, is this a normal difficulty increase, or did i get my hands on an easy 1 or hard 2.

Managing 20-30 reps on the #1 and not being able to close the #2 seems a little odd - you may have an easy #1 and a hard #2. :cry

Have you just been doing reps on the #1? If not, try focusing on negs with a higher gripper than the #2 and single forced closes on the #2. Also try strap holds and overcrushes on your #1. Remember the quality of the close is key to closing a higher and not necessarily the number of reps you can do with a weaker gripper.

Also buy a #1.5 (which you should be able to close) and start working with that to bridge the gap between the 1 & 2. :upsidedwn

You might also try filing your 1 or filing a 1.5. This should help... I can't do 20-30 reps with my filed 1, (Maybe like 8), but I am very, very close to closing the #2. Maybe 1/8 of an inch. That 2 is a hard gripper!

thats odd. I can get ~11 reps with my 1, and 6 with my 1.5 and i can close my 2 for singles. Try overcrushes and timed closes with the 1 and get yourself a 1.5!!

...or did i get my hands on an easy 1 or hard 2.

Probably not. Are you doing anything with the #2 aside from attempts? What does a typical workout look like for you?

I would hold off on getting a #1.5 for now. I sounds like you have the tools to get the job done.

Read Heath's article "Closing Big Grippers" and maybe even take up his suggested workout #1.

Probably not. Are you doing anything with the #2 aside from attempts? What does a typical workout look like for you?

I would hold off on getting a #1.5 for now. I sounds like you have the tools to get the job done.

Read Heath's article "Closing Big Grippers" and maybe even take up his suggested workout #1.

Yea i just go for attempts on it i never actually do workouts with it, cause i cant close it. Im also curious how people can do negatives without being able to close the gripper? Im gona read tyhe article though maybe it will answer my questions

That is exactly what a negative is, and they are SUPOSSED to be done with grippers you can't yet close!

Force it shut with TWO HANDS, then release one hand, and try to hold it closed with one hand. And fight the opening of the gripper. It might open anywhere from a hair's width to 1/4" or 1/2" if you use a very big gripper. If it opens 1/2" it's too much, so you can't use a gripper MUCH harder than your goal one, just the next step up.

Yea i just go for attempts on it i never actually do workouts with it, cause i cant close it. Im also curious how people can do negatives without being able to close the gripper? Im gona read tyhe article though maybe it will answer my questions

Okay. Read these articles by Clay as well. The sample workouts got me from the #1 to the #2 in 30 days. I had to close about a 1/4" gap.

I also think you don't need to buy the 1.5, It just looks like you are overtraining. Just warm up with the trainer or easy normal shop gripper, wait, warm up again just 20 reps. wait 3 minutes. Than do the number #1 just about 5 reps.

wait 4 minutes, try the number 2 !

wait 4 minutes try the number 2 again.

You will get it after 2 of these workouts, at least that is what I predict. (if I spelled that correct) I am from the Netherlands so my english is not 100%

Don't forget you want to get stronger on the grippers, not condition your hands right? So that means you have to use the POWERLIFT rules.

wait 4 days, just don't touch the grippers at all. And than try this training from above again.

Let me know when you close it! good luck!!

Thanks for all your responses!

I havnt touched grippers for a while because my hands were hurting before, so today i decided to try and get a tns rep with the #1 just as a check to see how much i dropped. it felt really hard and i coudnt do it, so i thought to myyself that i coudnt have dropped that much, so i positioned it in my hand and while holding the spring to keep it in place closed it for three tough reps. I look at the bottom of the handle and it was the #2!!!!. So i guess i jsut needed to take some time off and that alot of it was mental. I know holding the spring makes it easier but hey ill take it, especially doing it ice cold :)