Gripping at a local level

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

On the theme from Brians post about being discouraged about not many people entering his contest, I am equally discouraged by not having the money to go to these meets and places. Which got me thinking... there is a bunch of young men around the house doing nothing at all. Most of them don't have jobs, do drugs and are generally lazy as ####. I live a totally different lifestyle than they do. I care about my health and strength. I invite them all to my home to cook out and pitch horseshoes often. When they are there I always take them into the barn and challenge them to lifting contests with the Rolling Thunder, pinch lifting, wrist rolling. I usually challenge them to chinups and dips or something they can do. I wish I could help them to get motivated about something in their lives. Maybe I can do it through grip and strength training. I think I will start running my truck up the place where they all hang out daily and invite them to come and train. Maybe I can build a platoon of grip enthsuists. Has anyone else done anything like this?

Jeff,

You're a man after my own heart!!   :D  :p

A fun fantasy of mine is to someday open my own gym.  It will NOT be the ordinary run-of-the-mill operation.  It will be something straight out of Brook Kubik's book, "Dinosaur Training".  

It will NOT (and I repeat, NOT) have any of the following:

Mirrors

Plants

Art Deco paintings

Cutesy-poo muscle machines

Neon lights

Juice Bar

Swimming Pools

Indoor Running Track

Racquetball Courts

Saunas

Blaring Rock Music

Treadmills

Clocks on the walls

Any posters of the latest "Mr. Wonderful"

Any magazines featuring "Mr. Wonderful"

ANYTHING whatsoever about "Mr. Wonderful"

Televisions

Smiling, Friendly Staff

Get the idea?  If you come to MY gym.... prepare to suffer like you've NEVER suffered before.  If you puke, that's o.k. - to me that means you're working HARD.

MY gym will have the following:

Squat Racks

Power Racks

Heavy Sandbags

Thick bars

Stones for stonelifting

Strongman equipment

Various other equipment for training your grip

Available puke buckets in the corners of the gym

Farmers Walk course outside

.... and me yelling at you if I think you're slacking.  And if you continue to slack after I told ya NOT to, I can tell you to leave and NEVER come back!!!

I have YET to find a gym like that here!!  :blush

Ah.... to dream... to dream....    ;)