Sore hands?

Guest yactoid

Guest yactoid

I didn't want to really ask this, I thought it would get better, but I'm not sure it is.

But when I squeeze the grippers, and release, I feel a ... pain? tightness? something in my hand about the last 1/4" OPEN...

is this normal for just starting grip training, or is this something I should be concerned with?

If it's your skin, it will get tougher. If it's a really sharp pain, then it's pain & that's bad. If it's just soreness, that's good because that means you're working hard.  :) It might be that the gripper gets too wide for your hand. If you've got small hands maybe thr gripper stretches something & that's what you're feeling. I think you're really new to this grip stuff, maybe you just need to get used to it.   ???

Guest yactoid

I've had the good soreness, it doesn't feel like that, it feels like its the tendons or ligaments IN my hand (behind the palm), I really think its something that will just pass, but I'm not sure - it was worse yesterday now that I think about it, I couldn't even close the trainer right handed yesterday.

Another clue that it is "normal" is that it effects both hands.

Guest Jay Ansuini

When did you first start training with the grippers?  If it was just recently, then it probably is the tendons/ligaments being strained.  Also, how often are you training with the grippers?  You may be overtraining, especially if you are just starting to use the grippers.

When I first began training I had the same problem, my hands hurt like all getup the first week or so, but now I have no problems and I don't even notice the knurling much unless I do a lot of sets.  For reference, I have been training with the grippers for ~2 years.  I had to take a decent amount of time off between sessions when I first started, about 2x what I take off now.  I am no doctor, but I would recommend taking some extra time off between sessions, and work with less intensity until your hands become acustomed to it.

Jay

Guest yactoid

I just got my grippers what is it, a week ago? (I posted the day I got them on here)

I am probably over training, over the weekend I didn't touch my grippers ( they were at work), and come monday, I was stronger and the knurlling hardly hurt at all (asside form the blister on my middle finger).

I will take a few days off for now.

I'd say you're not overtraining, but if your hands are a bit sore, you're probably doing it right. Ease into gripper training though. Only take one day off instead of two. From what I've read, you'll probablly feel a bit weaker on your first day back & then get stronger again.

Guest sjeff70

Hey Yactoid!

Don't forget to stretch those fingers lightly everyday.  I stretch my forearms too, by pumping them lightly with straight arms.  It makes a big difference because sometimes I'll grab something and feel soreness but when I stretch my fingers and come back to my fingers later, they won't feel as sore, if sore at all.  

I'm still experimenting with my recovery since I've added pinching and crushing to my static holds (holding off on the wrist roller until I find myself on the other grip stuff).  

I'm finding the crushing once every 6 days to be working nicely.  I'm no expert by any means (!) but I would find the amount of work you need while working at your hardest, then worry about putting those lighter days in between later.   :)

Jeff

yactoid, had the EXACT problem when I first got my CoCs. What I did was over about a week use a weak plastic gripper, squeezing it REAL slowly, and letting it go even slower. I just did this fairly often throughout the day and after a couple of days it felt much better. Strange thing was it didn't feel 100% until the next workout, but the day after that it was as solid as ever.

Hope thats of some help to you, but don't trust me I'm fairly new to this.

Jeff

Guest yactoid

I took yesterday the 4th off (although I wanted my girlfriend's father to try - iron worker)

today I picked up a gripper and my hands are just as sore, mind you I am VERY weak - and new to all forms of strength training.

- just tried again, and my right hand can close it, but my left hand HURTS.

good news is - I am already used to the knurling!