Thick bar or pinch grip

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Last week I askes a few questions about thick bar overhand deadlifts. I was doing them with a 2 3/8 Diameter bar.When I went to gym yesterday my bar I used was gone,So I used a 3" bar. As if 2 3/8 wasn't bad enough. BIG DIFERENCE. For me it was about 100 lbs. Anyway, my question is there a point where a certain diameter becomes to big to actually be working on overhand deadlifts ? Not that it's not a good exercise, but it's almost more of a pinch than a deadlift.

Also, When doing overhand deads, do you train them like regular deadlifts ? Or do you do singles ?  

I did

- Bar (50 lbs) 5 reps

- 140 x 5 reps

- 190 x 2 reps

- 230 x 1

- 275 x missed

- 260 x 1

- 230 x 40 second hold

I would be greatfull for any advice on sets and reps.

Hopfully I will have my picture of my #3 sent in next week. Looking forward to getting my BBE.

Thanks Guys

While training for the 3 ½” dumbbell deadlift I have found that I can lift more weight using a thumbless grip.  There comes a point where the thumb become redundant as bar diameter increases and you really have to squeeze with the finger tips to stop the bar from rolling out of the hand.  Anything much thicker than this would start to become unwieldy.

Harlan,

John Brookfield, in his MOHS book, cautions  about gripping extra wide objects. I believe he said anything over 3 inches, you will be putting a lot of strain on the thumb joint. Not to say you can not go over 3 inches, but to use caution.

Guest davidmidtvedt

zcor,

Any York block-weight is wider than 3 inches.  Are you just referring to thick bars?

David Midtvedt

Chapter 6 of Brookfield`s book, titled "Training with thick-handled dumbells".  He states " you will also not want a handle over three inches unless you have a gigantic hand-- not a big hand, but a gigantic hand. If you use a shaft that is way to big, it can put excessive stress on the thumb".

Brookfield cautions about pinching *objects* that are too wide as well, but he did not give any measurements to go by.

My interpretation is, that if you have your thumb stretched to the max  in gripping an odd object, it could result in a potential injury.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I don't always use the 3" bar. Our 2 3/8 was out of the gym at the time and it was overhand dead day.  What about my sets and reps ?  I just started doing them. Should I do more, less or what ?