What To Look For In A Kettlebell?

bdckr

anyone in the uk tried these, KBs, about a month ago they were about £10 cheaper, they dont look great but they are cheap. they have been getting through their stock pretty quickly in the last couple of months so some people must like them

sorry for hijacking your thread :whistel

I have a 32kg from these guys- is absolutely fine. Took a while to get used to it as my others are competition-style KBs.

Great value for money if you live in the UK.

A kettlebell is a kettlebell when it comes down to it. The have a rubber disc on the bottom too- saves me taking chunks out of my garden path every time I'm a bit careless putting it down!

Edited by doctordeath

thanks for the reply, when i get a bit more money ill get some.

I have an 8kg and a 16kg Newitts and I'm not that impressed. The handles are a small diameter (work the grip less) and are not a consistent shape - are not formed in an even arc. The actually kettlebell is also mis-shaped, not very round. If you like quality kit then I'd avoid; if you just want a 'round-ish' weight with a handle on top then get a Newitts…

There's a guy on the UK Ebay selling 16kg KB's for £35 (he has other sizes if you email him). He claims that they are made in the same foundry as the London Kettlebells KB's. I brought a 16kg and a 20kg KB off him which I've compared to a 32kg London Kettlebell owned by Dave Horne. There's no difference; great quality 'bell, recommended.

thanks jim, thats why i posted on here, i was wondering whether the handles came loose as they looked a bit suspect, and they do say you get what you pay for. i have seen the kbs on ebay, ill have to take more notice of them then.

My kettlebell is an inexpensive and parquet flooring safe kettlethud,

500x500 pic: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1039/667066...f6d11cea6_d.jpg

1024x1024: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1039/667066...d11cea6_b_d.jpg

It's made of:

- 1 sturdy dressing-case/vanity case/toilet bag (whatever you call it), currently filled with a mix of smaller metal debree I had laying around, and led shot (packed in small plastic bags, preventing led dust leakage)

- 1 push-up bar

- 1 cargo strap (to securely attach the push-up bar to the case)

- 1 length of pipe insulation (adds diameter to the handle, and of course, it rotates)

The bar of wood and white string on it is my freestanding wrist roller. The extra small cargo strap is just there to keep the roller tucked to the "bell" between use. Together with an ISG, a stool and two other push-up bars, that's my gym. I've used it at 16kg now for several months, and that suits my higher rep style. Snatching this little thud has become one of the few main parts of my total workout since I started using it about half a year ago.

Whenever I get my sewing machine in working order, I'm going to make one dimensioned to be filled with sand or gravel for travel.

Thomas

Stan Pyke makes the best kettlebells bar none all steel not cast and a handle thickness which you can choose if you want not cheap but top qulity and will last a lifetime were as cast may or may not.

Gazza,

Do you own one of Stan's 'bells? Each 'bell that I buy is better quality than the last. They are nice things to own so I don't mind shelling out the extra groats on one of Stan's if they are really that good. Also, it's good for us UK guys to support small UK businesses, like Stan's.

Gazza,

Do you own one of Stan's 'bells? Each 'bell that I buy is better quality than the last. They are nice things to own so I don't mind shelling out the extra groats on one of Stan's if they are really that good. Also, it's good for us UK guys to support small UK businesses, like Stan's.

Jim

Maxwell has 3 of stans kettlebells 16k,24k and 32k being all steel not cast you can drop them from high onto there handles if you wanted and they will never break we used to use them alot when we were training together they are a quality item just like the big death star kettlebell at the OHF dinner we went to but smaller.

How many other blacksmiths are knocking out hand made kettlebells none that i know of infact who else is makeing handmade kettlebells not cast or in a foundary but by hand thats gotta be worth a few quid extra just for there uniqueness.

Jim i fully agree with supporting the homegrown small businesses and dont forget Stan donates and sponsors lots of stuff including the OHF dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

just received my first kettlebell today, its one of stan pikes low price kettlebells, feels real nice, and was one of the cheapest i could find, apart from newitts, which dont look anywhere near as good, look very similar to the ones on ebay jim wylie mentioned, but are cheaper than that.

I have 3 kettlebells from Stan all top notch aswell as alot of dumbbells which are in my gallery, ive also just bought the girlfriend one of stans cheaper bells only £33 delivered for a 12k, you wont get a better bell for that price anywhere.

Mark

Has anybody got one from Apollo Athletics ? a sport equipment store in my area

sells them for about $.95 a pound I can get a 20kg. kettlebell for about 47.00 out the door

I was talking to the guy there they only had a 4kg. there but at another store they had 3-20kg KBs and it would take

about week to have transferred to there store I'm going to order one monday and let you know how it turns out

• 2 weeks later...

What to look for in a kettlebell? For a start customer service, especially if buying off the internet. I recently bought one off Stan Pike at Intensefitness. The courier company managed to smash both sides of the handle off a 24Kg bell so I was disappointed. Quick phonecall to Stan's wife, Sue, and all hell let loose for the courier company and a nice new shiny one winged it's way down to me this morning! Very, very nice people who look after their customers and take a real interest in their needs. needless to say when I need another I will be going back to Stan.