Lever movements...

Guest juggernaut216

Guest juggernaut216

Will humble your ass big time.I am 308lbs and can bench 380.I tried to incorporate the sledgehammer type movement.It is hard.It puts you in your place.5-10 pounds is extremely hard for me.It's funny because you look at it and think it will be easy....not so.What can you guys lift from the floor??

(launches bragging mode) I have done 7.55 kilos (16 poundish) in competition ahem!!

(launches bragging mode) I have done 7.55 kilos (16 poundish) in competition ahem!!

And that was a Weaver stick lift (to the rear) !  Steve, if you can  come close to matching that with your weaker hand, you could do some great steel bending in the "spike-bending" style.  Maybe even dethrone the  reigning British nail bending champion.

I can sledgehammer lift to the rear about 9lbs, and can readily U-shape an Ironmind Blue nail.

Robert

When you guys talk about levering sledgehammers, what is the "spec" way to do it?  I have always just held my arm down while standing, elbow by my hip, holding the hammer down by my foot and try to pivot the hammer up using just my wrist.  Its all good exercise, but I'd just like to know how its donw "regulation" style...

Thanks!!

~Steve M

The only “specification” I know for lever lifts is that of the weaver stick to the front or rear.  The USAWA website has a good description of the lift here:  

http://www.usawa.com/rules.html#f9    

Also, Steve's reverse Weaver is shown in the Gallery section of Cyberpump here:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album01/aao

Revtor, a strict lift in the manner you describe with a sledgehammer would be to lever the hammer up without swinging, although sometimes I'll swing the hammer up to get a good negative.

Slim Farman did a double reverse Weaver stick lift from the ground with two 22lb, 37 inch long thick handle hammers without bending forward at the AOBS dinner.  Oh and he's over 70 years old.  

Just thought I'd BRAG a little for Slim.

I think he did the reverse Weaver style lifts with the 17-pound hammers.  I'm sure 3crusher can verify this with the video tape (I have a picture of the end of the lift, but missed the point at the top, one of the few pictures I missed).  Usually the hammers are 31-inches long, but maybe with all that tape on the end to make a thick handle they are a bit longer than that.

The hammer I tried was 12lbs, the ax lift to the rear was 17.5lbs, and the double hammers were 22lbs ....................I think...............