Inch summary

Roark

Returned from vacation and read speedily the various

and varying accounts of Mark Henry and the Inch lift.

Perhaps I missed something, but why are there doubts?

1. Wasn't the bell weighed?

2. How many of the grip board gang tried to deadlift it?

3. Of those who did, was this the only replica you have laid

a hand on (for comparison)?

4. Did John Wood indicate it was a 172- he also has access to

the lighter replicas?

5. Did Richard Sorin indicate that it was a 172, and was it

the same 172 that was used at the Arnold Classic this

year?

6. It would be very obvious if 'flats' had been filed onto the

round handle- how many of you think that the handle was

not round?

Sadly, Mark's hand width was not measured, nor his hand

length? I assume his bodyweight was circa 400 lbs making this

172 (?) 43% of his bodyweight (which for a 220 pound man

would be a replica lift of 96 pounds).

I am hoping to have a summary for Friday's Iron History column

if I can sort through these matters soon enough. Please answer by the question number above, and if you prefer you

can personal message to me. Thanks.

I'll answer what I can Roark.  I don't know why there are any doubts

1.  Don't know, Richard Sorin could best answer this. (BTW Marc Henry never trained on that particular bell)

2.  Gripboard members who attempted: Greg D'Eramo, Sybersnott, Tom Black, Heath Sexton, Pat Povilatis, Steve Weiner.

Gripboard members who got it off the ground: Richard Sorin, John Wood

3.  I believe Tom and Sybersnott have plate loading inch replicas; John and Richard obviously have; I haven't; Heath, Pat and Steve--Don't know for sure?

4.   I didn't hear John Wood comment either way.

5.   I didn't ask

6.   It felt round to me.

Hope this helps.

1. Don't know

2.  Everybody

3.  I have never seen one before

4.  He didn't say

5.  He didn't say

6.  The handle was round

I tried the bell, it really beat my butt.  It did nothing but roll out of my po'widdle hand.........

The bell was freshly cast,overnight shipped directly to the hotel,held before and after in a secured area,unlocked by hotel personel the next day and hand placed directly into Mr.Steve Jecks(famous stone lifter) car to be returned to me in South Carolina.Mark Henry lifted that bell the first time he saw or tried it. There was no modification to the bell whatsoever and according to Kim Wood the replicas are harder to lift than the original. Everyone in the room seemed to "give it a shot"and shook their heads in disbelief....The bell was photographed closely by the official photographer for the dinner(check with Vic Boff) while I was standing there. It later was marked with a stensil that was disguarded after the painting was completed so it is easy to tell apart from ANY other.It will be weighed on a certified scale as soon as it returns. By the way...Has the original been weighed on an official scale?...is it EXACTLY 172lb? The one Mark lifted at the Arnolds weighed 172.75.Mr. Joe please give me a call.

Actually, this is pretty ridiculous.  That is, the other posts that "question" it was really done without some special modification or whatever.

There were aliens there who mind melded the SIX or so Captains of Crush so they could not lift the underweight dumbbell that had "special" grooves in it so Henry could lift it.

All at the dinner were then put in a trace to only BELIEVE Henry lifted it like he did.

Mr. Sorin was given $25,000 by Vince McMahon to build a special fake dumbbell.

:p

In all seriousness, I want to hear from John Wood again. Let's here it straight with no holding back.  This whole thing is bullshit and I'd like for John to clear it up since he has lifted BOTH the real one and probably examined it VERY closely and the replica as well.  What say you John?  Are there special flat spots on it? Or whatever?

The original weighed 172 lbs 9 ounces as I

recall when John Wood weighed it, but he can

speak to the matter.

What is ridiculous, in my opinion, is that these

questions must, by any serious student of the

game, be asked because the matter was not

settled in public.

Of course there are reasons why the replica bell

was needed in the first place and this may explain

the need for a freshly minted version.

John, the stage is yours.

There are a lot of suspect strength feats out there. I gotta say "this isn't one of them".

With all the very credible witnesses, if you didn't believe this feat, you would believe NOTHING!

The original weighed 172 lbs 9 ounces as I

recall when John Wood weighed it, but he can

speak to the matter.

What is ridiculous, in my opinion, is that these

questions must, by any serious student of the

game, be asked because the matter was not

settled in public.

Of course there are reasons why the replica bell

was needed in the first place and this may explain

the need for a freshly minted version.

John, the stage is yours.

It is a shame. It should have been publicly weighed AND measured right there in front of everyone.

Wannagrip is right.... why all the endless speculation?  We were all there, and no doubt in my mind that it was a true Inch rep in every way, shape and form.

BTW, Richard... what happens to that very same bell that Mark lifted?  Is it for sale??  ???

Hey Bill, why don't you go back and read my original post again.  I stand by everything I said.  -John Wood

Hey Bill, why don't you go back and read my original post again.  I stand by everything I said.  -John Wood

Ok.  The reason I asked this again, is that rumors were abound that you were the guy who said "all wasn't right." with the replica.

Thanks John.

I said what I said.  If there had been "flats," I would have said so.  There werent.  All I said was that the handle felt "different" TO ME.   All  of the replicas have minor variations and as I said in my original statement, there was nothing there that would have given Mark any kind of advantage in the lift.

It was careless to have said "what appeared to be an Inch repilca" this immediately created doubt. I feel sorry for Joe Roark. He is trying so hard to establish historical accuracy. This event was only a week ago it was video taped. The most credible possible witnesses were there, and look at all the crap that has ensued. So even an event about which there is no doubt has become controversial.

I feel bad about this but here's what I got and as I am doing business or about to with both parties I am not doing myself any favours...ie: I could lose money.

I contacted Robin at Atomic Athletic re the Pasenella bar and possibly him acting as agent for the Millennium dumbbells in the US. In passing I said something like 'now that the Inch has been lifted you guys will need another challenge'.

I got the reply which included the following highly misquoted (by the sounds of it) response '

"In fact, his son John has lifted 2 Thomas Inch bells.  He tried the one Mark lifted and feels that there were flats shaved into the handle.  He said it had a very strange feel and that

it was somewhat smaller.  John would know.  His Dad owns the real one"

Now lets have a look at that and compare it to what we've seen. The only part incorrect seems to be the reference to the 'flats'. However we also have the simple fact that the maker says otherwise, it still ways one #### of a lot and either John or Kim can weigh the original.

Regarding the inability of several CoC's not to be able to lift it - most of you will not have had access to a solid bell weighing 170+. Even Tom Blacks comments re lifting of plate loaded bells only bares out what I have said myself. That you need to lift a #### of a lot more on a plate loader than a solid bell that and you guys don't train for it. I spoke to Dave Horne about this yesterday. Within minutes of shutting our grippers at the OHF in 2000 we both had a go at my copy of the 228 thick handled bell which we got one end off the floor.

What do I think (if indeed it matters). Mark Henry lifted, in good style, a 172 lb thick handled dumbbell which may differ from the Inch only slightly if at all. I suspect and may well email Terry Todd to veryfy this that like Tom Black and I he actually made a conserted effort to train for it.I also suspect that John W made a passing comment re the feel of the replica to Robin and ta da, chinese whispers ensued.

Historical accuracy is one thing (which we have demanded here) but boy does it cause problems!!     ???

When the next person closes a 4, they better run the gauntlet of witnesses, TV coverage, blood test, urine test, hair sample, blah blah blah. Oh, and don't call Atomic Athletic. ;)  And don't say "appeared to be a #4 gripper" when reporting it. ;)

:hehe  :hehe

In the July 5th column at Iron History, I will run in full

the letter Terry Todd sent to me (email) before Mark's

attempt which reveals that Mark had two previous

successes in cleaning the Inch replica.

And we will recap the history of the Inch bells, briefly,

and include facts from phone conversations I have had with Kim Wood since the dinner.

It is important to keep this in perspective, and though I mean no disrespect to Mark, his lift represented 43% of his bodyweight- what is 43% of your bodyweight, and could you,

with training on such a replica clean and push press it?

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but if Kim Wood owns the original Inch bell, why couldn't that bell be made available for an attempt, be it Mark Henry or whoever?  I've never touched the original so I have no room for comparison, but I don't believe there were any "flats" ground into the handle.  There MAY have been a slight cleanup of the seam where the mold came together to prevent a sharp surface, but that's all.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but if Kim Wood owns the original Inch bell, why couldn't that bell be made available for an attempt, be it Mark Henry or whoever?  I've never touched the original so I have no room for comparison, but I don't believe there were any "flats" ground into the handle.  There MAY have been a slight cleanup of the seam where the mold came together to prevent a sharp surface, but that's all.

That thought also crossed my mind.  

I don't know how "put together" that thing is and since it is old whether it could stand up to the potential abuse of flying through the air and someone dropping it from 6-7 feet.  Maybe that's why.  Plus logisitics?

Regarding potential breakage etc. The Millennium dumbbells are made with cast iron globed ends and a steel shaft which is put into the pattern/mould before the iron is poured. Cast iron, as anybody who has had cheap chinese weight plates snap is relatively fragile. However, the iron used in the Inch is a softer older mix and seems to have survived a good long while with hardly a ding

The handle of the original Inch 172 is not cast.

Regarding why Kim would not make it available

is for Kim to address, but it may involve some of

the reasoning that York Barbell uses in preventing

anyone from picking up (and dropping) the Cyr,

Rolandow and other rare bells in their Hall of Fame

display.

Kim did not acquire the original for three box tops

and a 25 worded letter on 'Why I want to own the

Inch original'; it cost him to what many of us is a

considerable sum, but, had he been presented it as

a gift, it is still his call.

Just finished watching the tape of Mark lifting the

replica. From liftoff to return took approx nine

seconds, a good lift, and though the overhead

did not appear stabilized, it was aloft long enough

to make a moment in history.

Unfortunately, Terry Todd passed along the common

misinformation that the bell was manufactured in

1898. In my view, the 172 was probably cast circa

1906, certainly not 1898.

The replica handle is 2.47" the original is 2.38".

Rumour (that word again) over here after the sale was that Kim paid $5,000 for the Inch. By no means carton tops and a 25 word 'why I should have it...'

Rumour (that word again) over here after the sale was that Kim paid $5,000 for the Inch. By no means carton tops and a 25 word 'why I should have it...'

Exactly. So why risk getting it damaged, even if the probability is low for doing so?  It's a collector's item after all. Just speculation, but it makes sense to me.