Pitiful grip... help?!

Guest richard

Guest richard

Hey guys, gotta quick question.

I just started deadlifting for reps a couple of months ago and I'm working into it slowly so as get my form down before I hit heavy (for me) weights, not adding more than 10lbs per week. Today I did 235lbs (wimpy, I know) with an overhand grip, no chalk, no straps, no hook grip. It didn't feel too heavy in the lift, but I couldn't hold onto the #### bar for more than 5 reps at a time! :angry: . My thumb and forefinger were fine, but my little to middle fingers were pulling away (ouch). I tried pinch gripping plates for the first time at the end of my workout and held 2 25's (the slick finish kind) face to face with no chalk for 10 secs in each hand at the end of my workout. Couldn't budge 35's. Oh, if it matters, my hand spread from thumb tip to little finger tip is 9".

OK, I ramble. I just never shut up when I'm typing. ;-)

What sort of grip work should I emphasize to improve my pitiful holding ability?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Deadlift for a while on a fat (2'') bar......Best thing I ever did for my deadlift holding ability!Get a 7 ft.2 inch piece of schedule #40 1 1/2" pipe cut along with some(4) 2 inch set collars at the local industrial supply house and there you are!

Guest richard

Thanks guys,

( and happy belated birthdays to Mikael and Richard! )

I had thought thick bar work was only really useful for advanced people (which I am definitely not...). I've just started adding in pinch work, now I'll add thick bar work first and see what happens.  :)

Thanks again!

Richard

Get the grippers if you don't already have them.  

Don't worry about your progress.  You'll get stronger with each workout, and you have all of us helping you with honest-to-goodness advice.  You have come to the right place for help!!  Welcome to the GripBoard!!  :)

Guest juggernaut216

I think you can use the thick bar.I have only been working out for 5 months and I started using it 2 months ago.Also try timed holds with your bar.Try to hold say...135lbs for a minute or so in the deadlift lockout position.Work on the grippers,squeeze a rubber(or stress ball) do the farmers walk w/dumbbells or timed holds w/dumbbells.Just give it time,I dont think your deadlift is all that bad.I am assuming your max would be 270-280 based on the weight you are using.Just work on your crushing grip...or you can just glue your hands to the bar:)

Take care