The inch for reps?

ghd56

Those of us who attended the dinner last Saturday witnessed quite a spectacle when Mr.Henry cleaned and jerked the INCH dumbell.  Personally I think he was good for a triple. What about you guys?

It was great to finally meet some of my gripboard members also. Aside from meeting Rich Sorin, I think Heath stole the show with his near mashing of the Phantom 4. Awesome.

John DiStano

(formerly JD58)

Guest Neal Bates

John, I was not present when the feat was performed(dangit) but I saw the WWE footage last night. All I can say is I was shocked at the ease with which Mark jerked the Inch replica. After watching the clean part of the lift I was expecting to see a very slow press. Yeah RIGHT! You're guess of a triple might even be a little conservative. But who knows? I know one thing, Mark Henry is AWESOME!

Neal

I don't know about Mark Henry, but I'm sure Apollon or Goerner could have done that. Could Mark Henry have lifted the 4 big blockweights as Apollon did?

I liked what he did after the lift... he picked it up again in his left hand (like it was a suitcase or something), and casually stode over to the honorees table and put it down like it was a glass of water!!  I had to take it off (with two hands) when someone commented that it might roll off the table and fall on somebody.

I have pasted a section from an email recived here this am re the replica Inch.

'He tried the one Mark lifted and feels that there were

flats shaved into the handle.  He said it had a very strange feel and that

it was somewhat smaller'.  

Any thoughts or comments? I find it all very strange.

It was the only Inch replica I ever had the opportunity of attempting to lift.  If there was some modification, it wasn't enough to carry 5 of the 6 CoC's at the grip table (as well as everyone else who tried it) to even break it off the ground.  The only people who did get it up were Richard Sorin and John Wood, both of which I've seen pictures of them lifting it beforehand.  If it was different, it wasn't different enough for anyone to notice.

There is a rumor being spread by the sour grapes lobby that the Inch replica was in fact an inflated balloon filled with helium and that it lifted itself. Surely John Woods whose father owns the original and who handled the replica used, would have been in the best position to notice anything odd.

I don't know why the comments were made and given that its still a fat handled 172 pounds... Never-the-less its from a good source. If, however, several CoC's tried and didn't notice any flats it may just be sour grapes - whatever??!!

Shortly after Mark Henry's outstanding feat, I photographed and picked up the Inch replica that Mark actually used.  It felt, at least to me, that the handle was not quite the same as other replicas that I have been in contact with. I felt it was 172 lbs. or very close to it but I did not see anyone weigh or measure it at the dinner.   My feeling is that any modification made (if any) in no way affected the lift by Mark Henry.  The Inch bell replica that was shown in the second picture on Juggernaut's site, that was featured on WWE Smackdown Thursday night, was not lifted by Mark Henry at the dinner  -John Wood

I don't know why the comments were made and given that its still a fat handled 172 pounds... Never-the-less its from a good source. If, however, several CoC's tried and didn't notice any flats it may just be sour grapes - whatever??!!

Read Heath's post.  There's no "IF" about it.

And, I think we can trust what John says!

Geez.

Sounds like BIG TIME sour grapes to me!

John Wood, I suspect, has had his hand envelope more

Inch replicas than has anyone on this planet. He also

knows the feel of the original Inch. We should pay heed

to his conclusions.

All of this could have been avoided if someone had

bothered to invent a scale and a tape measure before

the occasion. Where is technology when you need it?

A simple situation is confounded because basic weights

and measures were bypassed.

How absolutely professional ( In the WWF sense, oops, the

WWE sense.)

Like many I feel very sorry about all this nitpicking !

One thing is certain: nobody, except Bill Kazmaier, ever succeeded to lift an inch replica overhead before, and that's what matters to me. Moreover i'm sure that with some more training Mark HENRY would be able (and perhaps is he already able) to lift ANY Inch replica overhead (heavier or lighter than the one he used).

I feel relieved now  :)

CONGRATULATIONS TO MARK HENRY FOR THAT AMAZING FEAT !

If nitpicking had been in place regarding the times

Thomas Inch 'lifted' the bell on 'hundreds' of occasions,

we would now be celebrating Mark's effort for what it

truly is, the inaugural clean and push press, one handed,

with a 172 replica.

Kaz's lift, and Pfister's lift, though splendid, were continentals,

not cleans (to nitpick). And the difference, for those of you

who seem to be cloudy on the matter is this: Take a plate

loaded dumbell with a regular size handled and put on your

limit one hand continental amount of weight. Now put it

down and clean the same amount.

Night and nit-picking day.