Help! grip experts...!

Guest MonStar1023

Guest MonStar1023

I really needed some help formulating my grip routine.  I think I am going to go with every other day, just like John Brookefield recommends. If I feel extremely sore Ill obviously take more time off. Anyways.. My routine will be as follows... this will be at the END of my normal workout. (legs, back, whatever)

3 sets of reps with the #1

2 sets of timed holds with the #2 (or #1,~ I dont even think I can close #2 all the way to time hold it)

3 sets pinching plates for 5-10 seconds

2 sets to failure with thick-bar wrist roller

HELP GUYS!

:D

Does this look okay?

Guest MonStar1023

I am looking to dramatically both a) increase my grip strength and b) increase my forearm development/size...

Is this the routine to do that..

I wrapped my wrist roller in electric tape.. which makes it around 5" in diameter on each side? Is this okay? He kees talking about a 2.5" diameter.. but I am so lost..

:angry:

Your routine looks good Mike. I'd just modify one thing. Do your timed holds first and your reps next. You want to gain strength first. Developpement will depend on you strength.

I would do :

First, at least 5 sets of timed holds with the toughest gripper  you can close. Second, 3 sets of plate pinching for 5 to 10 seconds. Third, 2-3 sets of HEAVY wrist roller. Finally, 2-3 sets of reps on the #1.

Remember, strength first, reps next (if any reps you want to perform). Personnaly, I work every grip exercise with singles.

Train hard and good luck !

Oh, one last thing. You'll quickly find that three times a week on this regimen is the most you can achieve. I prefer twice a week training but Wannagrip's daily training system gives good results too. Experiment and find what's best for yourself.

Guest MonStar1023

Tou / Grip Experts-

So my routine should be as follows..

4 sets of timed-holds with the #1 or #2

2 sets of pinching plates

2 sets of thick-bar wrist roller

2 sets of reps with the #1

Does that look okay? Its going to be @ the end of my back workout so my forearms will be beat up. Will this be good for thickening up my forearms a lot?

Also important question... my wrist roller I wrapped in electric tape, and it comes out to 5" around. What does that mean in diameter? I am trying to get it around 2-2.5" in diameter like John recommends.

GOALS: I am looking for a LOT stronger grip, and a LOT bigger/defined forearms..

:D   :D

I am hoping this will help me get there. I mean I am not using my hands for any sports, so I dont see what pinch gripping will do but I am guessing that its all important for my goals.

Also Ill be doing this routine around ONCE every 6-7 days. So basically once a week. Is this going to be too little frequency?

Good routine but I would do it on another day than back. In fact, I work grip on two days and I'm in the gym on two other days. That's me, see for yourself. Electrical tape on a wrist roller is going to make the bar very slippy. You might want to replace it by hockey tape. Keep adding tape because your bar is 1,6" diameter. To find the diameter, divide the circumference (around the bar) by 3,1416.

One last thing, don't forget the basic for strength/mass : deadlifts.

Guest MonStar1023

Tou-

Whatsup bro? My current training split is as follows..

day1- back, traps, bis forearm/grip here

day2- rest

day3- quads, hams, calves

day4- rest

day5- chest, delts, tris forearm/grip here

day6- rest

Does that look okay? The only downfall to hitting my grip/forearms twice a week is that I do NOT want my forearms or grip to be tired when I hit my back ya know? For example I just did legs yesterday, Ill do chest, delts, tris tomorrow- but if I do grip, forearms tomorrow, and then on Tuesday Ill do back, my grip/forearms will only have one day of rest before I hammer them again ya know? Maybe just EVERY 2nd workout. For example back day, then chest day, then leg day, then back day, then chest day, etc. That way my forearms/grip would have a good solid 3 days rest.

day1- back, traps, bis forearm/grip here

day2- rest

day3- quads, hams, calves

day4- rest

day5- chest, delts, tris forearm/grip here

day6- rest

day7- back, traps, bis

day8- rest

day9- quads, hams, calves forearm/grip here

day10- rest

day11- chest, delts, tris

day12- rest

Something like that ya know? So my grip/forearms always had a good solid 3 days rest, until they were hit again.

Anyways as for the wrist roller thanks for the formula. I dont have any actual hockey tape... and I am really not sure where I would be able to find any. Wouldnt a more slippery surface make the exercise harder, and in turn make my forearm development that much better?

I can probably get some dry athletic tape from a local drugstore though. And the rest of my routine looks okay? Thanks again for all your help!!

Question: What should my form be like for the wrist roller? Should my arms be locked out in front of me? What kind of weight should I use? Help me out! Please..

:D   :D

I can't help with your training split. Don't hesitate to work grip isolately. Hands recover pretty quick (way quicker than the back). I train twice a week on a ultra abbreviated routine. I lift dinosaur style.

I don't know much about the wrist roller as I prefer wrist curls. If you do wrist roller in a power rack (with the handle supported)  you can shoot for big poundages. If you have to handles the thing at arm's length, you poundages will be smaller. Herk Sparkman managed over 300 pounds on a wirst roller. He's a super strong man so don't expect that kind of weigth.

Guest MonStar1023

BUMP For Experts..

My GRIP/FOREARM Workout Today:

Started off with some timed-holds with the CoC #2. I couldnt even close the #### thing with two hands. So my timed holds were basically holding the CoC #2 with one hand, around an inch from, fully closed. Probably 80% closed. Did 4 sets of them for each hand. Really beat up my fingers and hands well. Then I moved onto pinching plates. Handled 3 ten pound plates per hand which I didnt previously think I could do. That was good I guess. Realized my pinching strength on my left hand was stronger then that of my right hand. Then I moved onto the wrist roller. Did a variation kinda. I read about this in John Brookefields book. I stood in front of the smith-machine bar, the smith-machine bar was at waist-level I guess. I put the weight on the ground with the rope of the wrist roller running overtop of the bar, and wrist rolled it from there. This way my hands werent jumping all over the place. It was very controlled, and really isolating my forearms. By the way, ONE rep is me rolling the weight all the way up to the bar, from the ground. Really HAMMERED my forearms well. Finishing off with some reps with the CoC #1. Couldnt complete a full rep again. Did reps to around 80% of closure.

CRITIQUE GUYS!

Ill be doing this workout every 3 days or so... HELP!

Guest MonStar1023

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!

Does this look better?

1 set timed holds CoC

1 set pinching plates

1 set thick wrist roller

1 set wrist curls

1 set reverse wrist curls

1 set reps with CoC

???

Monstar1023 - Your doing too much volume. Spread the excercise around other days. How old are you?

IMHO you should try HIT or HARDGAINER? I prefer hardgainer.

James

Guest MonStar1023

james-

What would a good routine look like then???

Maybe something like this....

Workout A.

CoC Timed-holds 1 set

Pinching Plates 1 set

Thick-bar Wrist Roller 1 set

Workout B.

CoC Reps to failure 1 set

Wrist Curls 1 set

Reverse Wrist Curls 1 set

:D  :D

If it can make you stop to bump us, here's a VERY simple routine that will make wonders.

COC (the toughest you CAN close), 4-5 singles then, strap holds. Do strap holds sets until you can't hold the weight up. Total exhaustion. Crush these handles as hard as you can.

Wrist curl. A couple of light warm up sets. 4-5 sets of 5 and 2-3 sets of 3. You'll get tendons of steel + big forearms.

Now, pinch 2 plates for many singles (up to 10). Hold the plates for as long as you can. More than 10 seconds : add weight

If you feel like you need more, throw in some plate curls or give a try at deadlift lockouts. After 10 lockouts with a max weight, your hands will be blasted for good.

Even tough I am not an "expert", I feel this is a solid routine for a beginne ror intermediate. You'll build a good foundation with this routine.

Oh ... don't try to do it everyday. I give you one week and you're done. Once or twice a week is WAY enough. If you want to work daily, pick up the #1 or the T and close it sparingly on a daily basis.

Even tough I slam my #1 100 reps a day, I'll be strong for my #3 the next day. See for yourself.