Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• austinslater

• deaner

deaner wanted to put up this poll but it !@#ked up :tongue

here you go!

hey thanks for putting it up!

definitely worth the time if you plan on competing!

I'm assuming it is contested because it's a good test of overall hand strength? It can be developed using other exercises but by training it specifically you aren't really gaining any strength other than for v-bar? I noticed that when my hands are strong, my vbar is strong and it doesn't really matter if I actually train vbar much. I'm just really stretched for time and am trying to get the most streamlined but effective grip program for overall hand/wrist strength. I'm happy with thickbar, blocks, levering, kinda iffy on the merit of grippers, bending, vbar.

I think, in combination, bending and vbar are fantastic. They toughen the hands like no other exercises.

I hate v-bar. Its the least grip oriented lift out there. If it has to be done why not use a thick bar?

That second statement (obviously can't argue with the fact that you dislike the lift) is demonstrably wrong. There is a strong correlation between competition vbar numbers and overall grip strength. Check the competition results and top 50 lists.

With a 2'' vbar, for example, some will still be able to pin the fingers by the thumb. This will likely create a more-or-less bimodal distribution of competition results, not exactly an ideal situation.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Yeah, the 2" vbar definitely favors a bigger hand. But I still think that most of the top 20 vbar lifters with the 1" vbar would be about the same top 20 vbar lifters with the 2" vbar.

2-3'' vbar would ba a betetr indication of overall hand strength IMO than a 1'' bar. 2'' vbar is also kinder on the skin allowing more volume to be done.

2-3'' vbar would ba a betetr indication of overall hand strength IMO than a 1'' bar. 2'' vbar is also kinder on the skin allowing more volume to be done.

It is not that difficult to do volume on a 1'' vbar if you are not a total pussy. I do about 15 sets in total every time I do vbar.

A 2'' vbar would certainly have advantages but also, as explained above, disadvantages in competition. Guys with hands under 8'' that are very strong with a 1'' vbar would more often than not find themselves outclassed by someone like Jim Wylie (who has a very large hand span) on a 2'' bar. With a 1'' vbar virtually everyone can apply some pressure with the thumb on the fingers.

It is not that difficult to do volume on a 1'' vbar if you are not a total pussy.

"Politically Correct = Boring"

Mikael Siversson

The Gripboard, December, 2006

I hate v-bar. Its the least grip oriented lift out there. If it has to be done why not use a thick bar?

That second statement (obviously can't argue with the fact that you dislike the lift) is demonstrably wrong. There is a strong correlation between competition vbar numbers and overall grip strength. Check the competition results and top 50 lists.

With a 2'' vbar, for example, some will still be able to pin the fingers by the thumb. This will likely create a more-or-less bimodal distribution of competition results, not exactly an ideal situation.

Maybe overall grip strength leads to big v-bar strength and not the other way around? :whistel

LOL - i haven't got anything against volume Mr Siversson, infact many suggest i do too much. 20-30 negs on a #4 is a relatively normal workout for me while doing a high volume phase. There is a fine line though between high volume and getting skin tears which slow progress. It is for this reason that i suggest a 2'' vbar, especially if your hands are bigger than 8''. You will be able to do more come competition time with a 1'' bar and you won't have had the skin tears in the off season which obviosuly don't help. I hope you can see where i am comng from. I will be putting me idea to the test at GB iron grip 2007 ;)!!!!!

Edited by CoC#3

I get very little, if any, skin tear. Use an elastic athletic/medical tape and put it on the areas of the hand where you tend to get tearing of the skin. Also by grabbing the bar from above rather than at a right angle there will be less twisting of the skin just below the middle finger area.

These days I do no more than about 5 singles every workout without tape. Most of the repping is done with some protection for the skin.

Mikael - in reading over your v-bar training posts- you have studied the event much more than most. A short article on the things you have tried that worked and didn't work and training methods would be a nice addition for everyone to be able to refer to at times. Your scientific approach to training is better perhaps the the "grab it and pull like heck" approach of most. Please consider it when you have the time.

Maybe overall grip strength leads to big v-bar strength and not the other way around? :whistel

Quite honestly, I don't think any of us knows exactly how much cross-over gains there are for any grip exercise. It would require an elaborate and extensive testing program to find out.

IMHO this lift is worth training regularly provided:

- You cycle the workload (too many consecutive heavy workouts will destroy your back or S/I joints)

- You vary the thickness of the bar.

This lift is a staple of my grip training.

Dave

I wonder if there is any potential overuse injuries that could be caused by having the wrist bent like it is during a vbar lift, quite unatural to be squeezing so hard with such a bend in the wrist.

I wonder if there is any potential overuse injuries that could be caused by having the wrist bent like it is during a vbar lift, quite unatural to be squeezing so hard with such a bend in the wrist.

If you have that many concerns about this particular lift you are probably better off not training it. There will be little if any gains if you are holding back.